How do I clone eMMC to another BBB

Hi,

I am having some issues cloning the Beaglebone Black. I write the internal flash to a USB to uSD adapter using dd then boot it, but it loses its networking. There’s no eth0. Any help?

Thanks,

-Tom

1. which distro is on the bbb.
  2. what is the output of dmesg |grep eth
  3. are these BBB’s running simultaneously on the same network ?

more information is needed.

Hi,

Debian Wheezy.

dmesg output:
[ 1.554997] usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_ether
[ 2.622588] cpsw 4a100000.ethernet: NAPI disabled

They are not plugged in at the same time. One at a time. The Ethernet lights are on BTW. But no eth0.

Thanks,

-Tom

we’re using Wheezy here too but I’ve yet to run into this problem. Perhaps this could be udev related but I am not an expert here, Robert C Nelson may know a bit more here.

The only thing that comes to mind aside from udev is that perhaps if using a static IP the other “older” BBB is knocking the new device off the network.

Perhaps as a test you can modify /etc/network.interfaces to use static ip’s Then see what happens.

err —> /etc.network/interfaces

Udev I would say - whenever you clone a machine the hardware is different and by default adds another udev rule. You probably find you have eth1 rather than eth0. Easy enough to fix - just need to edit the file, delete all the rules, reboot and you should have eth0 back again.

I’m also trying to clone a BBB to another (with the default Angstroem distrib). If you succeed, could you please post a short how-to? The easiest is probably to list all commands you have executed without much comments - like mounting the SD-card reader etc?
Thanks Philipp

By default with my images, i add this little rule to udev:

(/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules)
# BeagleBone: net device ()
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0",
ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

Thus the "same" image will have "eth0" on every beaglebone that the
image is ran on...

Regards,

I’ll try that, but I’m not seeing eth1 under /dev/ either. It just disappeared altogether!

-Tom

If it was stuck as eth1, it would also show up under:

/sbin/ifconfig -a

btw, which "debian" image did you start with, before you cloned it to
the 2nd media device?

Regards,

Yep, it shows up when running ifconfig. I started with the one from the armhf website by James.

-Tom

Sorry, I meant John. Always get the names confused…

Ah, there's the problem...

Last I checked, my script 'exited' on error when detected his image
(for a good reason). As he had things in different places, different
bootloader/etc. (Well different then the way i've had things by
default for the last 4 years..)

Essentially that image is not supported...

Regards,

Do you have any pointers to “better” images?

Thanks,

-Tom

Do you have any pointers to “better” images?

Thanks,

-Tom

Same place they've always been. .:wink:

(install to microSD)
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#Demo_Image

(eMMC "flasher")
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardDebian#eMMC:_BeagleBone_Black

Regards,

Thanks, I will try them out.

-Tom

I too am trying to clone BBBs with no luck.

I flash the emmc with Angstrom distro

https://s3.amazonaws.com/angstrom/demo/beaglebone/BBB-eMMC-flasher-2013.09.04.img.xz

then

Enabled NTP

X11VNC (frees up the USB port and my desk)

NodeJS, Socketio and serial.io

to clone I boot with Angstrom flashed to a micro sd card https://s3.amazonaws.com/angstrom/demo/beaglebone/Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.06.20.img.xz

I plug in a USB stick and DD if=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512 of=/media/BKUSB/BK6mar14.img bs=512 conv=noerror

I then use the same sdcard and USB stick to flash the clone :

DD if=/media/BKUSB/BK6mar14.img bs=512 of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512 conv=noerror

I checked this procedure on on board, after saving the .img I delete some folders, reboot with the Sdcard and restore everything with the DD command.

If I go from BBBB rev a5C to BBB rev a6A I get multiple checksum errors such as :

« [ 0.777470] EXT4-fs (mmcblk0p2): ext4_check_descriptors: Checksum for group 0

failed (47376!=48106) »

and /sbin/init errors :

« /sbin/init: error while loading shared libraries: libkmod.so.2: cannot open shar

ed object file: No such file or directory »

My questions are :

Is it worth debugging with Angstrom or should I just move to Debian?

If Angstrom is ok, then how can I troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks

I answered my own question.
I changed to Debian, using the 2 images on the official beaglebone site. copied the images to 2 sdcards.
No1 board: flashed the emmc with the sd card and the flasher debian version, installed a light VNC from instruction here
Installed socketio and serial port (went without a glitch), copied my nodejs software into cloud9 and had everything running in a few hours (not days as before).
copied the entire emmc dd=if=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 if=/mount/usbstick/imagefile.img bs=512 to a usb stick.
no2 board: booted with the Debian non flashing version (sd card) and DDed the emmc: dd if=/media/usbstick/imagefile.img bs=512 of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=512
Works great, second board powers up with Debian.
To find wich mmcblkx to use, do a fdisk -l make sure your sd card is 4 or 8G and you will see which is about 2G and 4 or 8G

all the best
Debian is great