How setup both adhoc wifi and infrastructure wifi on a BBGW

I have a BBGW and I’ve used connmanctl to setup the wifi on it. Now I have plugged in a 2nd wifi adapter via USB. I can see both wlan0 and wlan1 in ifconfig and iwconfig. Now I want to configure the adhoc network using wlan1.

How do I do this? I can’t find any way to tell connmanctl to select either the wlan0 or wlan1 and then configure it. I’ve done lots of googling about connman and connmanctl. It appears that it is designed for only one wifi interface…and you don’t get to choose which one. It seems to be lacking something.

If I do this on a (gasp!) Raspberry Pi) I would do this by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file. That does not seem to work on the BBGW.

Are there connmanctl commands that allow me to configure multiple interfaces?

Do I need to somehow disable connman if I want to do this? If so, how do I do this without destabilizing the system?

Clark

We actually do that out of the box with the current snapshots.

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

One physical wifi adapter: a softap0 interface to connect to, and a normal wlan0 interface to connect to another ap.

Regards,

Configurations through “interfaces” will not work unless you disable conman on the interface. I’m not sure if you can disable connman for a single interface, but you can do it for all wifi interfaces with “connmanctl disable wifi”.

There is one pitfall you should be aware of: after connman stops controlling the wireless interfaces the kernel will start renaming them to “safe” names. Instead of familiar wifi0, or wifi1 you will see names like wlxd01245abcd and you have to use those names in the configuration. Allegedly it is possible to disable renaming, but I never could get it to work.

Jacek.

Thanks for that information, Robert. That might be just what I need. I am currently using a March version so I am a little old. Any reason I shouldn’t try the Stretch version?

Now in the event I find I do need the USB based adapter in addition to the built-in adapter, do the later versions make that any easier?

Or later when I switch to the BB Blue, I would like to use both radios in it as wifi. I see where the Bluetooth radio can be reconfigured as wifi. Will the later Debian versions make that easy to do?

Clark

Well let’s see, the reason I outlined in my last email is one reason.

That would be for you to do.

Ah, where exactly do you see that the Bluetooth can be configured as WiFi? That’s a pretty stupid snake oil article…

Regards,

Well let’s see, the reason I outlined in my last email is one reason.

Well Robert, I may have missed it, but I don’t find where your last mail referred to Stretch at all. Instead it specifically referred to “snapshots”. Then you linked to a page shows links to BOTH Jessie and Stretch. So I was hoping to get your advice on whether the latest version of Jessie or Stretch was better for wifi.

That would be for you to do.

OK, great. I guess I will try to remove connman altogether in hopes that does not cause the kernel to rename my interfaces as Jacek has mentioned. It really sounds like connman is half baked. I’m having trouble seeing what problem it solves because it sure seems to bring in a lot of new problems.

Ah, where exactly do you see that the Bluetooth can be configured as WiFi? That’s a pretty stupid snake oil article…

Yeaaaa, it may be “stupid snake oil", but if it is you need to take it up with TI, who designed the chip and wrote the all the documents I read.

Here is some supporting information:

https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-blue/blob/master/BeagleBone_Blue_BOM.csv This BOM shows that U7. the wifi chip on the Blue, is a WL1835MODGBMOCR. This is how I found the part number of the wifi chip (unless the BOM is wrong).

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/wl1835mod.pdf This is the data sheet for the chip. Look at figure 1-1. It clearly shows that
RF_ANT1 can be connected to either Wifi or BT. Table 4-1 also confirms.

and then you can confirm by looking at this…

http://www.ti.com/lit/ml/swpb012b/swpb012b.pdf Look at the WiLink 8 Block Diagram. It also very clearly shows that Antenna 1 supports both Wifi and BT.

The documents I have found seem to show it is possible to have two wifi interfaces from this chip (at the expense of losing BT), but do not appear to show how to do it.
Does anyone know how I would proceed to switch RF_ANT1 to wifi? Hopefully it isn’t something as complicated as rewriting a driver.

Clark

Today either it is fine. I’m moving Jessie to monthly snapshots and maintenance only. Whereas stretch will be weekly.

That’s systemd and we pass the boot arg to disable that feature.

They just share an antenna.

Regards,