How to change initial runevel

Hi group,
I want to permanently change the initial run , so that gdm does not pop up (I guess that would be 4 or 3), but couldn’t find any documentation about this. I tried adding “3” or “4” to the optargs line in /boot/uEnv.txt, but this didn’t change anything, the system always boots into runlevel 5. I could of course automatically start a script in 5 which does a “init 3”, but I’m sure there must be a cleaner way.

Can anybody help?

Regards,
Bernd

Hi Bernd

take a look into /etc/inittab and the according docs.

HTH!
Best regards,
mcc

Bernd Eggink <bernd.eggink@sudrala.de> [13-10-02 10:52]:

Thanks, I know about inittab, but this system (Angstrom) isn't inittab-based. Instead, runlevels are managed by the systemd daemon.
I found some documentation on systemd, but unfortunately nothing about the initial runlevel.

Regards,
Bernd

I’m surprised the number isn’t working as Systemd is typically compatible but it may be worth a cursory read of how Systemd handles runlevels (like graphical.target) instead - http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#How_do_I_change_the_default_runlevel.3F

Nick,
thanks a lot for the link! Angstr�m's systemctl doesn't understand the command 'set-default', but I soon figured out that 'systemctl enable multi-user.target' does what I want.

Best regards,
Bernd