How to connect Beagleboard to Wifi as a client

Hi,

Connecting to Beagleboard configured as a hotspot does not work bidirectionally. I can ssh to it, but there is not internet on the Beaglebone. I tried “shared to other computers”, it does not work. Someone here proposed to use an Ethernet adapter. Thanks it worked, but I need wireless. I would thus want to try Beaglebone as a Wifi client, my laptop as a hotspot.

So I tried this https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51837774/how-to-auto-connect-wifi-on-beaglebone-custom-linux

$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

$ systemctl status networking.service
● networking.service - Raise network interfaces
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: active (exited) since Thu 2016-11-03 18:02:05 UTC; 1min 1s ago
Docs: man:interfaces(5)
Process: 2379 ExecStop=/sbin/ifdown -a --read-environment --exclude=lo (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 2428 ExecStart=/sbin/ifup -a --read-environment (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Process: 2424 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ “$CONFIGURE_INTERFACES” != “no” ] && [ -n “$(ifquery --read-environment --list --exclude=lo)” ] && udevadm settle (code=exited, sta
Main PID: 2428 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Nov 03 18:02:04 beaglebone systemd[1]: Starting Raise network interfaces…
Nov 03 18:02:05 beaglebone systemd[1]: Started Raise network interfaces.

Does not work. Beaglebone is still a hotspot, ignores the content of wpa_supplicant.conf and /etc/network/interfaces. Interesingly, so slightest warning or error message on restart.

Please help me. I guess that I should somehow switch off the hotspot on Beaglebone, but the docs which I browsed silent on this.

There is also something called connmanctl, but it does not work like expected…

connmanctl

tether wifi off
Error disabling wifi tethering: Already disabled
enable wifi
Error wifi: Already enabled
scan wifi
Scan completed for wifi
agent on
Agent registered
services

agent on
Agent already registered

services

And Beaglebone still is visible as a hotspot.

After a system restart, connmanctl now shows the wifi networks.

So to sum it up, if you want a wireless bidirectional connection with beaglebone independent from any local wifi, make your laptop a hotspot, make Beaglebone a client, but via connmanctl and not using the other methods, which did not seem to work any more. Then arp -a and you can connect via ssh to the ip number shown there. And it survives reboots.