How to create an image file from a bootable microSD card

Good afternoon!

I have successfully created a bootablr microSD by using the following:

/opt/scripts/tools/eMMC/beaglebone-black-make-microSD-flasher-from-eMMC.sh to write an image from the on-board eMMC to a microSD card

Now I need to send the image to our colleagues in Houston, and I want to create an single image file from the newly created bootable microSD card, how can I do this?

Best regards,
Kevin

I think bmaptools will be the most efficient way in terms of the file you distribute. But I’m not sure if the bmaptools are available for Windows systems

https://source.tizen.org/documentation/reference/bmaptool/usage/bmaptool-create

Otherwise you can dd the SD card to xzcat to produce a compressed image file like Robert distributes testing images on elinux.org

Unless you’re already familiar with bmaptool, dd is probably the best, and easiest method to back up the whole sdcard byte for byte. simply place the sdcard in any Linux system that is not running off the sdcard live, and run

dd if=/path/to/sdcard of=/path/to/save_file.ext

Technically the file it’s saved as does not even need an extension, but it makes it clearer as to what the file is. Also, the Linux system used to make the backup can be made from the beaglebone too, but it can not be running live off the sdcard at the time. Additionally “#” indicates this must be run as root, but does not necessarily mean you have to be logged in as root. You can also use sudo . . .

The downside of this is your 4GB Emmc image will be a 4GB file. If you have a “real” web or ftp server its not much of a a problem, but if you don’t it can be a hassle, although I’ve had good results with large fie transfers using Microsoft’s “free” One Drive service, although I’d signed up for it long enough ago that I got 15GB storage, new accounts get less. Robert’s 4GB images with xzcat usually come in under a GB and the 2016-04-03 images expands to about 3GB when expanded and written to an SD card.

If your remote is a Windows host, life is more complicated, in any case.

Wally, dude, what are you talking about ?

You put the sdcard into a plastic case, drop the whole thing into an overnight UPS folder, and be done with it. $10 versus spending a monthly fee for something you probably don’t use all that often.

One Drive gives free storage, Google Drive offers free storage. Its just a matter of staying within the free limits. If the OP was not wanting electronic transfer, he already has the SD card made and could have dropped it in the mail instead of asking how to make an image file from the SD card!

One Drive gives free storage, Google Drive offers free storage. Its just a matter of staying within the free limits. If the OP was not wanting electronic transfer, he already has the SD card made and could have dropped it in the mail instead of asking how to make an image file from the SD card!

Still needs a copy . . .

At the end of the day, it does not really matter how the OP plans on getting this file to his colleges. As that is not the problem to be solved - From the question.