How to get Linux command line?

Long time embedded developer, first time with Beagle Board Black.
How do I get the serial Linux command line like other Linux SBC?
Is it possible through the USB connectors or do I need additional hardware? A special cable as someone suggested?
I want to program using C, but cannot find information besides using Javascript with a HTML interface.
Please provide links to any pertinent information.
Thanks.

Long time embedded developer, first time with Beagle Board Black.
How do I get the serial Linux command line like other Linux SBC?

usb-serial ftdi "3.3v" cable on J1:

Is it possible through the USB connectors or do I need additional hardware?

g_serial is enabled on the usb-slave port, just need to plug in a usb cable.

A special cable as someone suggested?
I want to program using C, but cannot find information besides using
Javascript with a HTML interface.
Please provide links to any pertinent information.

gcc is installed by default..

Regards,

Or SSH thru Ethernet ?

ranadar,

Both . . . you can use g_serial, just like with any Linux that have the modules built. Or, you can use a 3v3 USB to serial adapter( serial debug cable / module, etc ). The advantage to a serial debug cable, is that one can debug, and / or halt uboot pre kernel load. Any serial BBB developer should have a serial debug cable . . .

Any “serious” BBB developer . . . and I suppose Robert already answered that, I just did not see his full message at first( for some reason )

Looks like I need a cable.
Thank you all for confirming that.

As a long time embedded developer, you should have a usb-mini or ethernet cable.

Both interfaces will allow you to ssh in.

Regards,

My preference is ethernet/ssh, but one more option is hdmi out and direct keyboard to the usb.

I’m running Debian on my BBW with a USB connection to my Windows XP PC. I can use Hyperterminal to log into the BBW via the COM10 port which is created for me when I load the drivers for my BBW. The port is set for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity. You should be able to use this link in your C programs without too much trouble.

Hope that’s helpful. (I also use Putty.exe to interact with the BBW from my keyboard. It provides a better command line interface IMHO.)

Thank you Curt. This is exactly what I want to do. I have mail ordered a couple SD cards. (You can’t buy them here.) Once they arrive I will try loading the Debian image as instructed on http://beagleboard.org/getting-started. I may have more questions for you so stick around.