I want to not remove the SD card after flashing the eMMC.

I am looking for a way to have control when the eMMC is flashed. What I’m trying trying to accomplish is to power on the board, flash the eMMC, wait until its ready to cycle power, leave the SD plugged in, press power(S3), and have it be able to access debian linux (have it not flash the eMMC again).

If anyone could offer some support it would be greatly appreciated.

On Tue, 29 May 2018 12:54:35 -0700 (PDT),
aben7025@gmail.com declaimed the following:

I am looking for a way to have control when the eMMC is flashed. What I'm
trying trying to accomplish is to power on the board, flash the eMMC, wait
until its ready to cycle power, leave the SD plugged in, press power(S3),
and have it be able to access debian linux (have it not flash the eMMC
again).

If anyone could offer some support it would be greatly appreciated.

Don't know if you could modify the flasher script to "unedit" the uEnv
file that invokes the flasher... That would, at least, turn the SD card
back to a regular boot card.

But if you have access to the power switch, what is so difficult about
pressing the SD card first (to eject it)?

After all, with current images, if the SD card is inserted, it will
boot from it (flasher or not); so you won't be booting from the eMMC unless
you eject the SD card first.

I’m confused…

Do you want to be able to boot Linux specifically from the SD card after just having programmed the eMMC or do you want to be able to access that SD card still plugged into the SD card in the SD card slot (e.g. maybe for logging/data storage) after Linux has booted from the image just programmed into eMMC??

Some more context to the situation.

I am using the same SOC and other IC’s that the BBBW uses on a custom PCB that will function similarly to the BBBW but have other desired functionality. I am then embedding this PCB assembly within multiple metal canisters so I will be unable to access the SD card to remove it. Hence the reason I need a reliable way of flashing the eMMC without removing the SD card.

I have resolved my issue. Here’s a link to another post that may be useful to others.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/beagleboard/nIZzqm46ilI

Depending on what roll you need the SD card to fulfill after the eMMC is programmed (bootable image vs for data logging). The following suggestion is a possible, but *** untested *** solution, for the scenario, where you want the user to stick in a flasher SD card, flash the eMMC, convert the SD card to an SD card for data logging, and then subsequently boot from eMMC:

You MAY be able to have the flasher script essentially ‘annihilate’ the SD card image that the flasher script is running from if the flasher script writes 0x00000000 or 0xffffffff to the start of the first sector of the SD card - say at the end of the eMMC flasher process. I recently posted a question on TI E2E specifically for the am5728/BB-X15 which leads me to believe this is something which MAY be able to be done on Sitara processors…

https://e2e.ti.com/support/arm/sitara_arm/f/791/t/692081

Then when you power cycle the board, the Sitara’s ROM boot loader MAY ignore the SD card, and boot from eMMC. Then you can have the image running from eMMC format/re-format the SD card accordingly.

But this may also be somewhat dangerous, and there maybe much safer, better solutions out there…

Just a thought…