Including kernel modules in rootfs

Hi,

I am currently building a few kernel modules out of tree, and these are successfully installed into the rootfs as expected into /lib/modules/…

I notice however that the modules that are built as part of the build process for linux-omap are not added to the rootfs. They live in built/deploy/glibc/images/beagleboard/modules-bla.tar.gz

Is this by design? and if so, is there some method where I can tell BB to include these modules in the rootfs so I do not have to copy them manually every time.

Regards

John

Hi,

I am currently building a few kernel modules out of tree, and these are successfully installed into the rootfs as expected into /lib/modules/....

I notice however that the modules that are built as part of the build process for linux-omap are not added to the rootfs. They live in built/deploy/glibc/images/beagleboard/modules-bla.tar.gz

That;s not quite right, things that can end up in the rootfs like in deploy/<c library>/<package format>/. For lazy people we have a modules.tgz that can be untarred by hand :slight_smile:

Is this by design? and if so, is there some method where I can tell BB to include these modules in the rootfs so I do not have to copy them manually every time

The preferred way is to add kernel-module-<foo> into a task as RRECOMMENDS, since you can choose to build them into uImage later on and don't want everything to start refusing to install due to a missing dep.
Having said all that, the beagleboard machine file does:

MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS = " kernel-modules"

So any task-base based image will include *all* kernel modules by default. If you have no kernel modules in your images that can mean 2 things:

a) you're not using task-base
b) you edited beagleboard.conf to not install the kernel modules

So fix a) or b) or both :slight_smile:

regards,

Koen

Hi,

I am currently building a few kernel modules out of tree, and these are successfully installed into the rootfs as expected into /lib/modules/…

That;s not quite right, things that can end up in the rootfs like in deploy///. For lazy people we have a modules.tgz that can be untarred by hand :slight_smile:

Is this by design? and if so, is there some method where I can tell BB to include these modules in the rootfs so I do not have to copy them manually every time

The preferred way is to add kernel-module- into a task as RRECOMMENDS, since you can choose to build them into uImage later on and don’t want everything to start refusing to install due to a missing dep.
Having said all that, the beagleboard machine file does:

MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS = " kernel-modules"

So any task-base based image will include all kernel modules by default. If you have no kernel modules in your images that can mean 2 things:

a) you’re not using task-base
b) you edited beagleboard.conf to not install the kernel modules

So fix a) or b) or both :slight_smile:

Hmm, I just had a look into this. My beagleboard.conf is unmodified except for using linux-omap instead of linux-omap2.

I am using a local overlay with a simple customized image. bb file. That file looks like this looks like

require packages/images/console-image.bb

IMAGE_INSTALL += “bla bla”

etc…

I would have expected task-base to have pulled in by console-image.bb because it depends on task-base-extended, but it appears not.

Anyway, I added DEPENDS += “task-base” to my console image, but this does not result in the modules showing up on the rootfs.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John