Install FreeBSD on beaglebone black

Hi Mark,

Re: JTAG + code composer right to the DSP:

That does seem to be the main support path that TI is providing at the moment, but runs foul of two impediments for me: JTAG emulator dongles tend to the expensive side, for home hacking activities, and Code Composer for macOS doesn’t support the DSPs. Which is weird, IMO, because the stand-alone C66x toolchain is available for macOS, and seems to work fine. I suspect that the issue probably boils down to emulators that work with the DSPs don’t have drivers for macOS, and without that CCS isn’t much help.

If it became absolutely the only option, I could move to a Windows system, but until it does, I’d prefer not to. I seem to have developed an allergy to it, over the years :slight_smile:

The other option that I’m pursuing is getting the Linux version up, in some kind of virtual machine, but I thought that I was doing pretty well with the self-hosted BBAI tools, so far. At least for tinkering.

Cheers,

Hi Andrew

Virtual have improved as well as the quirky USB driver issues. The low end JTAG are around $100.
A dual boot window/ Linux is also a great way bro repurpose any old Intel Box) laptop you can scrounge.

Also C66x stand-alone board’s are quite cheap if you want to pick up DSP.

I have an omap l138x board I bought while working on a high end motor controller. That product used Green Hills on the ARM and had its own messaging systems between ARM and DSP quite an amazing
Product. Images for DSP & ARM could be dragged and dropped via NFS. The control theory stuff on the DSP was way out of my league PhD types designed it. DSP Ran DSP Bios at a very fast clock rate. The PRU s were used as more on-board peripherals. It supported JTAG debug CCS and greenhill probe with the GHS source level debugger.
What’s sad is once the parrellel processing was working. A serial Port dump of shared RAM via a PRU UART provided debug info. It really gets hard to debug something in realtime beyond board bring up on these multicore Soc using JTAG.

Hopefully they port TI RTOS SDK to BBAI

Good luck