install_image.sh gives .../linux-dev/deploy/disk does not exist

I’m running ubuntu 12.04. My previous kernel was 3.2.28-psp21. Want to build latest RTL8192 driver for Edimax USB wifi. Thought it would be nice to build new kernel first. I followed same procedure as when I built previous kernel. I ended up with 3.2.33-psp26.1. I am assuming this is new and stable. If not, please let me know.

When I built my last kernel I had Angstrom on my beaglebord. Soon after I built it, I ended up getting a pre-built ubuntu image with the same kernel version.

Problem. When running install_image.sh script, I get the message …/linux-dev/deploy/disk does not exist.
Looking at deploy, I have a headers an mod directory, a headers.tar.gz and a modules.tar.gz and a config and zImage files. I do not have a disk file or directory. Message is correct. Can someone shed some light on this for me. I am not a “real” linux programmer. I have lots to learn.

Thanks

I’m running ubuntu 12.04. My previous kernel was 3.2.28-psp21. Want to build latest RTL8192 driver for Edimax USB wifi. Thought it would be nice to build new kernel first. I followed same procedure as when I built previous kernel. I ended up with 3.2.33-psp26.1. I am assuming this is new and stable. If not, please let me know.

When I built my last kernel I had Angstrom on my beaglebord. Soon after I built it, I ended up getting a pre-built ubuntu image with the same kernel version.

Problem. When running install_image.sh script, I get the message …/linux-dev/deploy/disk does not exist.
Looking at deploy, I have a headers an mod directory, a headers.tar.gz and a modules.tar.gz and a config and zImage files. I do not have a disk file or directory. Message is correct. Can someone shed some light on this for me. I am not a “real” linux programmer. I have lots to learn.

Just wanted to add that I get the Unmounting Partitions, Installing3.2.33-psp26.1 to boot partition, Image Name to Entry Point, …/deploy.zImage → …/deploy/disk/.zimage, Starting Search for rootfs and then Trying /dev/sdb2, mount: mount point …/linux-dev/deploy/disk does not exist.

As you probably figured out, I left out some of the text. If anyone needs it I have saved the screen output.

Yeah, sorry but I'm not in the guessing game...

Please provide your partition layout via "sudo fdisk -l
${DRIVEINQUESTION}" and a full terminal log when you ran the script..
Please use pastebin.com for posting that info...

Regards,

Hi Robert,

I have created an account on pastebin.com as amelidy. The info is in “install_image.sh files”.
I have put there 3 items. Output for fdisk for both my hard drive (Ubuntu on a laptop) and the sd card.
I also put the screen output that I captured last night when I ran the script. If this is not what you wanted as a full terminal log, please let me know and I will try to get you what you want.

I did look at my old build (from September) and did indeed have a disk directory in deploy at that time.

Thanks so much for your help

No idea, it looks as the script failed to mount /dev/sdb2… What distro are you running?

Just mount the drive yourself and copy the modules, that’s all the script does…

Hi Robert,

I’m not sure but I believe my original SD image came from
ubuntu-12.04-r5-minimal-armhf-2012-07-29.tar.xz and the kernel version was 3.2.28-psp21
new kernel I was trying to install is 3.2.33-psp26.1

The uImage and zImage were copied onto the boot volume successfully.
I have also done the following
cd /home/…/linux-dev/deploy/mod/lib/modules
cp -R 3.2.33-psp26.1 /media/rootfs/lib/modules

Is this enough to complete what the script was trying to do?

For my education, may I ask what the relationship is between having no deploy/disk directory and not having a mounted rootfs volume?
Also, would it be safe to re-run the script? What about the script from my previous kernel build in September? would the functionality have changed (for ubuntu)?

Thank you again for your help.

Just an update. copying the modules was sufficient to get an sd card that boots properly. The firmware stuff did not get copied so I re-ran the script and everything went ahead without a hick-up this time. SD card boots fine.