Installing/booting latest Angstrom build (2015-10) on BBB

TL;DR → How do I boot my BBB (rev C) from a recent 2015 build of Angstrom (ideally one I don’t have to compile myself)?

The latest Angstrom images for the BBB are dated 2013-06, and I want to get the latest version working on my BBB. I notice that the Debian images are much more recent, but I prefer the fast boot-time of the Angstrom distro.

I tried the following:

1. From Index of /angstrom/nightlies/v2015.12/beaglebone, downloaded:
  2. MLO
  3. u-boot.img
  4. systemd-image-beaglebone.tar.gz
  5. modules-beaglebone.tgz1. On my SD card:
  6. Create bootable FAT16 partition and copy MLO and u-boot.img to it.
  7. Create an EXT4 partition and copy systemd-image-beaglebone.tar.gz and modules-beaglebone.tgz to it.1. Per this discussion on yoctoproject, I did NOT add any uEnv.txt or zImage file to the boot partition, and I am expecting it to boot from the kernel images under the /boot/ directory from systemd-image-beaglebone.tar.gz.
  8. After inserting my SD card and powering up my BBB, I see some blinking lights, but no output from the serial port (tty01), and no response to my attempts to SSH in.

I have a 2014 build of Angstrom from 3rd-party vendor Chipsee, which works on my BBB. With that image is included the following uEnv.txt:

bootargs=console=ttyO1,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait quiet ;

bootcmd=mmc rescan ; mmc dev 0 ; fatload mmc 0 0x80007fc0 uImage ; fatload mmc 0 0x80F80000 am335x-bbb-exp.dtb ; bootm 0x80007fc0 - 0x80F80000;

uenvcmd=boot;

I don’t know much about u-boot, or how to debug the boot process. I will be grateful for pointers there if that’s what needs doing. I know some of the commands above won’t work because the latest Angstrom builds use zImage files instead of uImage files. Also, I don’t know how to choose the correct addresses for the fatload mmc command, if that’s required here.

Thanks in advance for any help!