Interfacing LCD panel to beagleboard using LVDS

Hello,

We are trying to interface a CMO M216H1-L01 (1920x1800) panel to the beagleboard.

The panel wants a total of 8 LVDS lanes (two groups of 4 with a clock each) and two pixels (of 24 bits each) per clock, at a minimum of 58.54 MHz (giving 50Hz refresh).

The OMAP3 TRM suggests the maxiumum panel size it can support is 2048x2048 with ~80MHz pixclock.

We were planning to use a couple of 75LVDS83 but the thing is, we can’t work out how to generate all the pixel data. The only way we can see to do this is if OMAP can do two pixels per clock (ie. pixel data on opposite edges of the clock), but we can’t find any sign in the manual that OMAP can do this.

Other than ditching this panel for an alternative (we have a really good price on this one so are not keen to change panels unless we have to), or using an upscaler chip, any suggestions?

2009/11/14 Michael Davey <md84419@googlemail.com>

Hello,

We are trying to interface a CMO M216H1-L01 (1920x1800) panel to the beagleboard.

1920x1080 even.

Michael Davey wrote:

Hello,

We are trying to interface a CMO M216H1-L01 (1920x1800) panel to the
beagleboard.

The panel wants a total of 8 LVDS lanes (two groups of 4 with a clock
each) and two pixels (of 24 bits each) per clock, at a minimum of 58.54
MHz (giving 50Hz refresh).

the omap3 cannot output 1920x1080 at 50hz. that would need a >100Mhz
pixel clock, the limit is around 73Mhz or so...

The OMAP3 TRM suggests the maxiumum panel size it can support is
2048x2048 with ~80MHz pixclock.

yes, so you'd end up with 80mhz/2048x2048 = 20Hz (not taking sync into account)

We were planning to use a couple of 75LVDS83 but the thing is, we can't
work out how to generate all the pixel data. The only way we can see to
do this is if OMAP can do two pixels per clock (ie. pixel data on
opposite edges of the clock), but we can't find any sign in the manual
that OMAP can do this.

omap3 cant do that

Other than ditching this panel for an alternative (we have a really good
price on this one so are not keen to change panels unless we have to),
or using an upscaler chip, any suggestions?

upscaler is the only way

2009/11/14 Vladimir Pantelic <pan@nt.tu-darmstadt.de>

upscaler is the only way

I thought that might be the case but thanks for confirming.

Any recommendations on upscalers, anyone? I’ll probably use 960x540 native resolution but it would be nice if the upscaler supported a few different native resolutions.

Also is there such a thing as an upscaler with video overlay (ie OMAP-generated output laid over an external DVD stream) and any chance of OMAP actually being able to drive it?

hey everyone,

After many frustrated attempts with getting the BeagleBoard working as an embedded video player, I've come to the conclusion that this is way too difficult for anyone who does not possess advanced Linux skills*. So, I'm looking for some (paid) assistance on this one since I'm starting to run up against time on this project -- which is for an artwork that I am currently working on.

What I am looking for is:
(1) display a custom splash screen when starting up the BB with no other text or image ever displayed
(2) automatically run a loop a video file (using mplayer with the -loop 0 option)
(3) well-documented so I can repeat this installation process on my own

Please contact me offlist if you are interested and we can discuss details. I am in New York City, so would much prefer someone who is local.

Thanks,
Scott

* Thanks to Bill Gatliff and a few others for the assistance, but I still was stuck.

What I tried was:
(1) to modify the inittab script to perform an auto-login, but our configuration isn't using this file. Instead, it seems to be using one called boot.scr. However, any modifications to this gives us a "bad data crc" error upon startup.
(2) a way alter u-boot, but we would imagine this involves modifying it, which we don't actually know how to do.

Even if you get this done off list, I'd love at least an overview of
your end product. Eventually I'll have to do something similar, but
not as a video player.

thanks Andrew, I'll provide documentation.

so far no leads. I'm looking at some folks in the extended Eyebeam community in New York.

another thought is the Nth Code Player which has a BeagleBoard installation:
http://www.nthcode.com/player/download.html

Has anyone here successfully used NthCode with the BeagleBoard?

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

I'm also going to have a go at this - I'm not a linux ninja, but I do have an application for the beagleboard where I would want to customise the boot process and splash screens... Unfortunately I don't have my DVI-HDMI cable that I've ordered, so I'm unable to plug into a display to test what I want to do...

If you do get it sorted out, I'd love to find out what you need to do. If I manage to get it done, I'll be sure to let you know what's involved.

Cheers,
Kai