Interrupt driven uart communication

Hey Guys,

i am quite new to embedded linux ...
My regular province are microcontrollers like AVR/PIC/STM32 and so on.

Now i want to get fit with embedded linux systems.
As a beginner i always start to to toggle some leds and so on ... all fine ...
now i want start to use with usart interrupt driven communication, but i dont get it.

Is the anywhere a useful C/C++ - project where i can see how to handle with receive interrupts ...
this is for sure as simple as a microcontroller application ... isnt it?

Hi,

do you have interrupt code for beaglebone in c++. help me out here.

Since you are talking about interrupts, you can only implement interrupt routines in kernel code, but all kernel code is developed in C, not C++.

Starting with the Linux Kernel source code, do the following:

git grep irqreturn_t

This will give you all interrupt routings in the Kernel source. You will find both documentation and code references to irqreturn_t. In the /drivers folder you will find device drivers. Start with a driver that is closest to what you want to develop. The name just to the right of irqreturn_t is the interrupt handler. Do the same as before:

git grep <interrupt_handler>

This will show you how to register the interrupt handler with the kernel. For example:

john:~/Download/GIT/ti-linux-kernel-dev/KERNEL$ git grep omap_gpio_irq_handler
drivers/gpio/gpio-omap.c:static irqreturn_t omap_gpio_irq_handler(int irq, void *gpiobank)
drivers/gpio/gpio-omap.c: ret = devm_request_irq(bank->dev, bank->irq, omap_gpio_irq_handler,

The second line shows you how to define your interrupt handler and the third line shows you how to register your interrupt.

Regards,
John