Is a Minimal install of Wheezy possible?

Looking to build a BBB setup and would like to start with a basic “Net” type build of Debian Wheezy running from the SD card and then simply add the pieces I need. I was looking at using the “debian-7.5.0-armhf-netinst.iso”. Since I believe the iso would normally be put onto a CD and the netinst run from there, to install the OS onto a hard drive I was wondering if it would be possible to expand the iso onto a USB flash, boot the BBB from USB and run the install onto a bare SDHC card in the SD card slot of the BBB. Can someone tell me if this is possible? I looked at Robert Nelson’s page describing how to build a “Tiny” boot disk but am not sure I have either the knowledge or the hardware to do it. After it is all done, I plan to have the machine booting & running from the SD card, at least for a while. Any help appreciated.

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/netinstall

This will boot debian's netinstall and allow you to setup the rootfs
on either the mmc or external usb media.

Regards,

I used git to get netinstall. When I run mk_mmc I get

Downloading Device’s Bootloader

I used git to get netinstall. When I run mk_mmc I get

Downloading Device's Bootloader
-----------------------------
2014-07-24 19:55:55 URL:https://rcn-ee.net/deb/tools/latest/bootloader-ng
[3754/3754] -> "/tmp/tmp.79ybb6Jm8k/dl/bootloader-ng" [1]
wget: missing URL
Usage: wget [OPTION]... [URL]...

Try `wget --help' for more options.

Looks like there is some sort of mis-match in the script?

That's odd.. I've been rewriting parts of the mk_mmc.sh script today,
but i haven't touched that..

try a "git pull" and rerun it..

Otherwise, what version of 'wget' do you have installed?

Regards,

I tried again with the same result. Using GNU Wget 1.13.4 Thanks for looking into it.

I should know better... Please "pastebin.com" your full terminal log
when your run the "./mk_mmc.sh" script.

Regards,

ah.. found it..

git pull

and you'll get all the fixes...

Regards,

Ok. Got it to run and install. Have a couple of questions. It looks like it is set to TERM=vt102. I checked .bashrc but it wasn’t in there. I would like to change it to vt100. Regarding the video, it looks like it is set for 132 columns. Can this be changed? Also, is there a way to make it boot without holding down the boot button? Thanks

Look at /etc/inittab, and note the example. If you scroll down to the bottom the define you’re looking for if probably there.

Look at /etc/inittab, and note the example. If you scroll down to the bottom the define you’re looking for is probably there.

Sorry for the mostly re post, typo correction . . .