Is There a way to build graphic apps with BBone Black?

Thanks everybody!!

I will follow your ideas to see where it takes me… :slight_smile:

I have a microSD running ArchLinux… I tried to install LXDM… I followed the instructions… no errors… but it still boots to a console… :frowning:

I will try the same in the Ubuntu console …wish me luck!! … :slight_smile:

BTW… is there a Free QT IDE ? I went to their page and they have a 30 day trial…

Qt is a cross platform application framework. Qt creator is their IDE, which you do not need to use. There are any number of Free IDEs out there that can be used with Qt.

I suggest you go to youtube, and search for Qt tutorials. Search for C/C++ tutorials while you’re at it :slight_smile: Perhaps even first.

The Qt Creator IDE is free. They have a commercial version available but its not needed for most people. Read the documentation to see what the difference between the two is.

-brent

Have you tried writing direct to the Video Frame Buffer, I have.

Email me and I’ll send you some source code.

Regards,

Mark.

I wrote an app that used SDL, but it had to use (I think) a software frame buffer, something about there not being support in the kernel for some hardware frame buffer? I'm not sure what it was. But I'd love to be able to use SDL to take over the entire display, and not use any kind of desktop or window manager (that's just buckets of more code that slow boot/launch times).

For my app, fast update wasn't necessary (it was a process automation controller-type thing), but it would be nice to be able to draw as fast as possible with SDL.

Does this work now?

Thanks!

Rick,

I’ve attached the source code for some framebuffer experimentation I did.

You’ll see circle, line and filled triangle code. Should be self explanatory.

To compile :-
gcc frame.c -o frame

Best regards,

Mark

frame.c (18.2 KB)

Wow, thanks Mark, that's informative to look at. I appreciate it.

But what I was asking about was hardware framebuffer support for SDL. Maybe what you've shown me means that it "just works," but when I was using it a few months ago, it had to use a software framebuffer. Note that I'm not entirely clear on the distinction.

You can place a sleep() or nanosleep() in the main loop. Experiment with various values until you get the desired result.

Regards,

Mark

If you look at the functions in the listing then you’ll find one that clears the frame buffer.

I would suggest that you have 2 loops. The inner loop will draw a certain number of polygons, circles, triangles or whatever with a delay between each shape. The outer loop will clear the screen and then loop back to continue drawing shapes.

Good luck,

Mark