[Issue] Debian Wheezy - No Sound, At All

I freakin’ give up.

I’ve spent the last TEN HOURS trying to get sound off this damn thing.

I have one of those Syba USB stereo adapters (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186035)

‘sudo lsusb’ shows it as a C-Media Electronics, Inc.
–I assume that’s right

But no sound…nothing.

I’ve tried doing something with ALSA…I think. Apparently it (alsa-base/util) weren’t even installed. So I ‘apt-get’ got those.
–If it helps, I’ve included a ‘print out’ of the installed packages.
–Also, alsa-base.conf ‘options snd-usb-audio index =0’ (was =-2)

It shouldn’t be this hard, even for Linux, obviously I’m doing something wrong…but I have no idea what.

installed_packs.rtf (22 KB)

Which board? What kernel (uname -r)? What vid/pid (lsusb)?

Also, it would help to dump your full dmesg:

dmesg | pastebinit

(then send us the http link..)

Regards,

Not only that, but what does lsmod have to say ? Is there a driver installed for it already ?

And here you go.

Module Size Used by
bnep 10227 2
rfcomm 30977 0
bluetooth 193393 10 bnep,rfcomm
rfkill 18347 2 bluetooth
g_multi 56923 0
libcomposite 17447 1 g_multi
snd_usb_audio 111433 0
snd_hwdep 5949 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_usbmidi_lib 17700 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_seq_oss 32138 0
snd_seq_midi 5243 0
snd_seq_midi_event 6354 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 55255 5 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi 20940 2 snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_device 6578 4 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
cp210x 7943 8
usbserial 24447 17 cp210x

Sorry, about that. Google Groups asked for the topics and I picked there.

BeagleBone Black (with eMMC; A5 revision?; just got it 3 days ago)
Kernel: 3.8.13-bone26
OS: Debian Wheezy; apt-get update (and upgrade) have been run prior and after adding the additional hardware
sudo lsusb: http://paste.debian.net/47695/
-they cgynals are ASICminer USB Block Erupters; they work
-two (4 port) USB hubs daisy-chained; I’ve tried both top hub and bottom hub…same result
http://paste.debian.net/47691/

UPDATE:

It appears to be working now…but on when logged into ‘root’.

It’s odd though, because neither the TI BeagleBone Black Analog Stereo or C-Media USB Audio Device show up when logged into my user account. Not sure why Linux would default the users to not having sound.
–All apt-get commands are done using ‘sudo’ to insure they work.

UPDATE #2:

I may have found the problem. It appears accounts need to belong to the ‘audio group’…problem is /etc/passwd/ doesn’t have anything with “audio”. I now have access to audio.

…now to figure out why Google Music’s music doesn’t have any audio. Also, why VLC, too, doesn’t have any sound; regardless of the ‘output’ chosen.

UPDATE #2:

I may have found the problem. It appears accounts need to belong to the
'audio group'...problem is /etc/passwd/ doesn't have anything with "audio".
I now have access to audio.

That's weird..
default user should be in the audio group..
https://github.com/RobertCNelson/omap-image-builder/blob/master/scripts/chroot.sh#L498

...now to figure out why Google Music's music doesn't have any audio. Also,
why VLC, too, doesn't have any sound; regardless of the 'output' chosen.

Using aplay --list-devices

try setting..

AUDIODEV=hw:(cardnum),(device)

Regards,

Figured it out. Apparently if you installed VLC first then PulseAudio. VLC has no idea how to ‘talk’. A simple uninstall/purge of VLC and reinstall seems to resolve this.

As for the User Account. I removed ‘debian’ since I’ll be running this Beagle 24/7. I didn’t want unauthorized WAN access. Still it seems odd that Linux wouldn’t auto-add new users to at least the ‘audio’ group, unless specifically told to do so with a command option (ie --no-snd) after the useradd (or was it adduser; I can’t remember) command.

I’ll forget about Google Music. Youtube audio will play, but man is it choppy. I would assume playing from Google Music would result in the same stuttering.