Java plugin in a web browser on the BBB

Hello,

I picked up another BBB that I’m planning to use with an HDTV (via HDMI) to show a status web page. Unfortunately, this web page requires Java to display.

I’m running Angstrom (BBB 3013.09.04 image) and was able to successfully install Java using these directions: http://beagleboard.org/project/java/
Although I did install the newer version named “build 1.7.0_45-b18”

I was intending to use the stock installation of google-chrome that comes with the Angstrom release, but am not having any luck.

I saw these instructions for manual java plugin install on an x86 Linux system:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/manual-plugin-install-linux-136395.html

and tried to roughly follow them for the arm, but the most similar .so file on my system compared to the one that they have is:
/home/root/jdk1.7.0_45/lib/arm/jli/libjli.so

I went to the directory for google-chrome stuff:
/usr/bin/chrome
but there was not a plugins directory. There was an extensions directory though.

I created a plugins directory in /usr/bin/chrome and added a symbolic link back to the libjli.so file.

ln -s /home/root/jdk1.7.0_45/lib/arm/jli/libjli.so .

For kicks and grins, I also added a symbolic link to the extensions directory:

I launched google-chrome with the --enable-plugins option, but the java support still isn’t there.
I also launched it with --enable-plugins --enable-user-scripts --enable-extensions but still no luck.

Any ideas on getting a Java plugin to work on the BBB? I’m probably not even using the correct .so file…

I’m not against switching to a different browser like Firefox. I’m also not against installing Ubuntu, Debian or whatever it takes to get a Java plugin working on this thing.

The single purpose of this BBB is to display a single Java enabled web page on a big monitor.

Thanks,
Jim

Any ideas on getting a Java plugin to work on the BBB? I’m probably not even using the correct .so file…

I’m not against switching to a different browser like Firefox. I’m also not against installing Ubuntu, Debian or whatever it takes to get a Java plugin working on this thing.

The single purpose of this BBB is to display a single Java enabled web page on a big monitor.

To reply to my own post, I may be totally out of luck if I read this correctly from Oracle’s web site:

JDK for Linux on ARM
No support is available for WebStart, Plug-In, Java Flight Recorder, and Garbage First (G1) Collector.

Does that mean there is no Java Plugin support under ARM for a web browser?

look up openjdk and icedtea for browser support, they are available on Arch at least.

Are you sure the page needs Java?
Or is it Javascript?

Best regards
Paulo Ferreira

Are you sure the page needs Java?
Or is it Javascript?

I’ll pretend to not be offended, but yes, it needs Java. :wink:
When you launch this page from a desktop browser, it starts up the Java Plugin, loads the applet and I have the Java console enabled, so that comes up too.

Paulo Ferreira

Don wrote:

look up openjdk and icedtea for browser support, they are available on Arch at least.

I didn’t have any luck when I was searching for openjpd and icedtea, but I wasn’t searching for Arch either.

Actually, I just found a different solution for my problem. I was able to create a special login on the machine that’s serving up the page, changing it’s profile to serve up a more “basic” version of the page, which doesn’t require Java.

That said, it would be nice to know how to use Java applets on the BBB.

Thanks for your ideas folks.

Jim

I dont have anything running angstrom but a google search shows it should be there, but maybe you’re failing to find it through opkg since the repo seems down. Debian and Ubuntu both offer the packages as well. Maybe you can find a mirror some place online to get your binary that way. Or if you have their build system setup you could build a package.

here is a recent commit to oe for version 7