JTAG Header Connection

Hi,
I have tried to solder my BBB with Jtag Connector on my own. But while soldering, the copper pads from Pin 3 and 5 came off from the BBB header. How can I fix it?
Can anyone help me out please? I am new to electronics…

It cannot be fixed if you rip pads off the board.

Gerald

Hi,
I have tried to solder my BBB with Jtag Connector on my own. But while soldering, the copper pads from Pin 3 and 5 came off from the BBB header. How can I fix it?
Can anyone help me out please? I am new to electronics…

Those are two important pins. Soldering these SMD connectors to the board is pretty simple and the PCB is good quality so I don’t understand how you could pull off those pads. There are plenty of examples of PCB repairs and installing SMD connectors on youtube. Looking at the board, I think it is going to be extremely difficult to repair those pads without a decent stereoscope and fine pitch soldering iron.

Regards,
John

PCB is good quality so I don’t understand how you could pull off those pads.

PCB is good quality so I don’t understand how you could pull off those pads.

If I use regular solder and not solder paste, then normally I apply solder flux to the PCB pads and connector pins; then I apply solder to each pin; not worried about solder bridges between pins at this point; but I do this quite quickly. Next I use solder wick to remove any access solder/bridges. Clean with alcohol using a small brush and voila I have a perfectly installed SMD connector. Not sure why the OP kept heat on those two pins until they peeled off the PCB.

Regards,
John

I know how to solder fairly decently, but if it was not for my buddy wulfman who has been an EE for 35 + years( qnd started out reworking / fixing PCB’s ), I might not have known about using plenty of flux when soldering / desoldering.

Also if anyone were to watch a few youtube video’s on professionals soldering some of the smaller packages that others still may never consider hand soldering. You’d see how much flux they apply before soldering.

Anyhow John, that is my guess no usage of flux, and / or an iron that was too hot, for too long in one spot.