Kernel-hacking workflow with RobertCNelson's linux-dev

Wrong git repo:

git clone git://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev.git

Regards,

Thank you, that did it. I think 95% of my problems were due to unfamiliarity with git. George Lu’s recipe was essentially it, except for me not understanding the details.

Here’s what worked, a bit more spelled out, for beginners like me:

1. Get rcn’s patch scripts:

git clone git://github.com/RobertCNelson/linux-dev.git

1. Switch to newly created directory

cd linux-dev

1. Edit system.sh.sample to indicate cross compiler. We are using Ubuntu 12.04, so we want (note trailing hyphen):

CC=arm-linux-gnueabihf-

3a) Ensure compiler is available:

sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabihf

3b) Possibly also to indicate local copy of linux source if it was git cloned previously:

LINUX_GIT=/home/user/linux-src/

3c) Save edited system.sh.sample as “system.sh”

1. Make sure the terminal window is at least 19 lines high and 80 chars wide. kernel configuration menu requires this, and the script will halt if this condition is not met.

2. Switch to am33x-v3.2 branch:

git checkout origin/am33x-v3.2 -b am33x-v3.2-tmp

1. Run build script. It will call the patch script. This will all take a while:

./build_kernel.sh

1. Optionally set kernel configuration when the kernel configuration menu comes up. For a production build we will likely want to eliminate many unnecessary drivers - we have no expectation of supporting audio, video, bluetooth, keyboards, cameras, ham radio…

2. When build_kernel.sh has completed the kernel source will be in KERNEL, and board-am335xevm.c (or whatever) can be edited.

Thanks again Robert for your patient help.

Hi,

I changed the board-omap3beagle.c (changing i2c-bus freq) and after that I used tools/rebuild.sh but it does not rebuild the file.
Do I need to clean something first?

Best,
Andreas