kernel v3.16 + bluetooth

I’m using v3.16.2-1-ARCH. I’ve followed these steps to connect a bluetooth headset:

[put headset into pairing mode]
pulseaudio --start
bluetoothctl
power on
devices
agent on
trust [device address]
pair [device address]
connect [device address]

After which a “Connection successful” message is displayed, and I can hear the headset beep indicating that it has connected.

Then I run:

mplayer -ao alsa:device=bt /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav

but it fails with this message:

[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: dlmisc.c:252:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_bluetooth.so
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such device or address
Failed to initialize audio driver ‘alsa:device=bt’
Could not open/initialize audio device → no sound.

Note that I have configured /etc/asound.conf as follows:

pcm.bt {
type plug
slave {
pcm {
type bluetooth
device [device address]
profile “auto”
}
}
hint {
show on
description “BT Headset”
}
}

ctl.bt {
type bluetooth
}

I have read various comments stating that bluez5 does not work with alsa and bluetooth. It was suggested to use bluez4 and alsa for full compatibility (“Bluez5 is only supported by Pulseaudio and not by ALSA. If you do not want to use Pulseaudio, you need to install an older Bluez version from AUR.”). I don’t know if the issue has been resolved or if I need to try something else. Googling for “libasound_module_pcm_bluetooth.so” doesn’t return much help, which leads me to believe my problem is a unique one and why I’ve elected to ask for help here. I am using alsa for standard headphone playback just fine, so it would be preferred to not need to deal with pulseaudio as well. However, if that is required then I’ll give that a try.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!