Linux Development

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the suggestion. If the software is developed like any other Linux computer for instance in a x86 based PC. Is it able to run on ARM BB? For example, I am able to write some application which can interface with the RS232 in x86 based PC in Linux such as UBUNTU but when i transfer the application to the BB. Can it run as well? Just one of my concern. Please advise.
Thanks.

Yes,

You compile you application with the arm toolchain.

Ruchika

You must be having a laugh.
Surely you know ARM is not x86 nor anything like it.

Just think if you write something in Dutch and read it in Dutch to an English-only audience.
Do you think it would make sense to that audience?

If your questions show how much you understand, I’d say you need to read up on some computing basics to at least get some understanding.
Some of the questions asked are as strange as the one from 2 teenagers who once asked me when did Bill Gates invent the computer.
Regards
Sid.

Hi Nicky,

try this book http://www.amazon.com/Building-Embedded-Linux-Systems-Yaghmour/dp/0596529686/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332964672&sr=8-2

It provides a really good introduction in embedded Linux. You'll learn
about bootloaders, cross-compilers, debuggers etc.

Yegor

I found this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pugJ0H50U

Didn't watch it till the end, but it seems to be worth watching.

Yegor

At first glance I kind of had this same reaction too (x86 &
BeagleBoard use different UARTS etc.) but if he is just talking
"application" code ... then if he uses POSIX or standard Unix calls
and interfaces with a device (/dev/ttySx on PC & /dev/ttyOx or
/dev/ttyUSBx on BeagleBoard) in a portable way then yes, the code he
writes for serial access in Linux on a x86 should work when cross
compiled for say BeagleBoard.

Regards,

Brian

The inference I got from the latest question, may be incorrectly, was that he was trying to run a x86 binary on BeagleBoard.
May be it's cross compiled but he didn't say so.
Having said that, he would need to be specific about just what he did so we could see the steps he took to build and install.
Regards
Sid.

Thanks Yegor for the guidance.

Yes and no. From Unix-style applications, you address the serial port as /dev/ttyO2. The problem comes if you need the handshake signals DTR/CTS etc. These are not available on the BB XM. Only data transmit and receive are connected. If you need the control lines, you may want to use a USB-RS232 converter which you can attach to a USB port. (Linux recognizes many of these automatically.)

Martin