Loading custom capes on Debian

Hello there,
I am suing bbb and a Debian Console image. I am strying to locate the place where the tree overlays are located but I cant. I tried greping for “BB-UART1” for example but I cant find it. Even though I can export it to slots. I have added my custom cape to /lib/firmware/ but when I try to export it to slots it cannot find the file. In the regular image all tree-overlays are stotred in /lib/firmware/ and in my image that folder is empty. I would really aprichiate any help, this is very urgent for me and I dont have much time :frowning:

What kernel are you using? (what is the output from “uname -a”
?)

root@beaglebone:/# uname -a
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 21 21:24:58 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

I don’t have much experience with device tree overlays so I might not be able to help, but what is the exact command you are using to echo it into the slot?

echo BB-BONELT_HDMIN1 > slots -bash: echo: write error: No such file or directory For some reason he doesnt see my .dtbo file in lib/firmware/ but or the other hand there are no other .dtbo files there. They are somewhere, because I can echo BB-UART1 for example, I just cant figue out where. I dont know where to put my .dtbo file or how to enable /lib/firmware/ directory for .dtbo files

I suspect it is a problem with your dtbo file. I believe that some of the dtbo files that used to be installed in /lib/firmware have been essentially compiled in to the kernel in an attempt to fix some other issues. My dtbo for my XBee cape is still in /lib/firmware and it works fine. Doesn’t automatically load off EEPROM at boot, but the running “echo XbeeFullCape0001>/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9/slots” as root works.

root@beaglebone:/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.9# echo BB-BONELT_HDMIN1 > slots
-bash: echo: write error: No such file or directory

btw:

`dmesg | tail` will give you more info one the error above..

For some reason he doesnt see my .dtbo file in lib/firmware/ but or the
other hand there are no other .dtbo files there. They are somewhere, because
I can echo BB-UART1 for example, I just cant figue out where. I dont know
where to put my .dtbo file or how to enable /lib/firmware/ directory for
.dtbo files

They are built in..

Regards,

I have solved the issue, the problem was the naming. Thank you. Now I struggle with the hdmi:
https://groups.google.com/forum/embed/?place=forum/beagleboard&showsearch=true&showpopout=true&showtabs=true&hideforumtitle=true&parenturl=http%3A%2F%2Fbeagleboard.org%2FCommunity%2FForums%2F#!searchin/beagleboard/Change$20I2C$20bus$20for$20video$20communication/beagleboard/qQTZm20XGoo/nR44xDiBCb8J

W dniu 2014-11-24 o 17:47, Robert Nelson pisze: