Looking for BBBWL eeprom dump.

Hello –

When looking at the dump of a BBBlackRevC eeprom, I can see the header, board,version, and serial. However, as the eeprom on newly received BBBWireless was mis-programmed, some of this information is lacking. The Black’s label on P8 gives the 12-byte serial, but the Wireless gives, what I may naively be assuming, is a 16-byte serial number.

I am curious if the serializing conventions have changed for the Wireless boards, departing from that described in Table 7 of the SRM.

Anyway, if any new owners of a BeagleBone Black Wireless board could post their eeprom contents here, I will be much appreciative. Mine was purchased from Mouser last week right from the get-go of their being available there.

method:

root@beaglebone:/sys/bus/i2c/devices/0-0050# cat eeprom | hexdump -C

(contents will appear here)

Thank you very much,
Mark

root@beaglebone:~# cd /opt/scripts/
root@beaglebone:/opt/scripts# git pull
Already up-to-date.

GND - TP1

then run as root..

dd if=/opt/scripts/device/bone/bbbw-eeprom.dump
of=/sys/devices/platform/ocp/44e0b000.i2c/i2c-0/0-0050/eeprom

Regards,

Robert –

Followed those steps and am rebooting.

Couple questions - Briefly, what did I just do? Should I see some change in contents of eeprom? Later, where would I find board S/N to ID the board for output to spreadsheet during data collection (i.e. which board is reporting which data)?

Thank you,
Mark

It just added the board revision identifier: "BWA3" so u-boot will now
know to automatically load am335x-boneblack-wireless.dtb

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts/blob/master/device/bone/bbbw-eeprom.dump

I'll grab a production bbbw to tomorrow, so we can go over the serial
number too, but that's not required for booting..

Regards,

Say Robert –

From the label I have a BWA5, which explains for me the serializing, in re Rev#.

I also cat eeprom | hexdump -C at the usual location and returns same output as prior to steps taken moments ago. Perhaps I am not getting a good connxn at DGND-TP1? In that folder appeared several new dirs & links…something happened.

Hello –

When looking at the dump of a BBBlackRevC eeprom, I can see the header, board,version, and serial. However, as the eeprom on newly received BBBWireless was mis-programmed, some of this information is lacking. The Black’s label on P8 gives the 12-byte serial, but the Wireless gives, what I may naively be assuming, is a 16-byte serial number.

The first 4 are the board revision. The last 12 are the serial number, same as before.

Hello Jason –

Thank you for your response. Recently I have so many more questions than answers concerning a funky BBBWL received a few days ago.

Mark

Hi, I got a BBB Wireless from Mouser this week. This is the eeprom content:

00000000 aa 55 33 ee 41 33 33 35 42 4e 4c 54 42 42 57 47 |.U3.A335BNLTBBWG|
00000010 33 30 36 32 00 00 00 00 b0 4f 0d 00 ff ff ff ff |3062…O…|
00000020 ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff |…|

I had to add the following to /boot/uEnv.txt to get wireless going:
dtb=am335x-boneblack-wireless.dtb

I haven’t flashed the eeprom with the BWA3 version, do I need that now when uEnv.txt is changed?

Regards,
/joel

Lovely, another furbar'ed eeprom:

GND TP1 and run:

sudo dd if=/opt/scripts/device/bone/bbbw-eeprom.dump
of=/sys/devices/platform/ocp/44e0b000.i2c/i2c-0/0-0050/eeprom

then run:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh | grep eeprom

and it "should" show:

A335BNLTBWA50000BBWG0000

Then it'll work out of the box..

Regards,

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the helpful advice in this thread. I’ve just got one of the BBB Wireless boards and flashed it to the latest Debian IoT image. I’d spent a while trying to figure out why my custom overlay wasn’t working (took a bit to figure out uboot given all the info on the web is still talking about cape manager), so I decided to distract myself by figuring out why the wifi wasn’t working. Turns out my eeprom was fubar’d too! I got mine from Digi-key so it looks like a fairly common issue.

Anyway problem now solved and wifi working! Turns out my custom cape is also now loading, although I only figured that out by looking at the pin configuration. dmesg doesn’t seem to have any useful information about cape loading, and I haven’t come across an easy way like the old “cat $SLOTS” approach to figure out what overlays are loaded.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
James Fitzsimons