Looking for external I/O and data acquisition device for BB's RS232/serial or USB ports

Dear BeagleBoarder :slight_smile:

I’m working with a BeagleBoard xM having Ubuntu installed (I may change this). The system is working fine (it’s just slow, which is imho a known ubuntu problem).

Now, I’m looking for a way to connect a bigger amount of digital/analogue I/Os to the board.

I’m wondering if you know external USB or RS232 devices that provide digital inputs and outputs, maybe analogue inputs and outputs. If driver are needed (in cause of USB), I need driver support for Ubuntu (or Angstrom).

I’m looking for a “ready to use” solution (buy and plug and hopefully play). I would like to avoid building the device by myself (I found some DIY projects) and focusing instead on the things I would actually like to do with the IO device.

So the best would be to find an I/O-Box (that I can buy in Europe) and that I simply connect to the BB (USB or RS232) and start programming the I/O ports.

Thanks in advance,

Tasha

Tasha,

Take a look at LabJack U3. It works great with Ubuntu and it does work with the BeagleBoard running Ubuntu. Unfortunately the supported code is for Python.

http://labjack.com/

Imifos wrote:

Dear BeagleBoarder :slight_smile:

I'm working with a BeagleBoard xM having Ubuntu installed (I may change this). The system is working fine (it's just
slow, which is imho a known ubuntu problem).

Now, I'm looking for a way to connect a bigger amount of digital/analogue I/Os to the board.

I'm wondering if you know external USB or RS232 devices that provide digital inputs and outputs, maybe analogue inputs
and outputs. If driver are needed (in cause of USB), I need driver support for Ubuntu (or Angstrom).

linux drivers here:

this is just an example, I have neither used that
not do I promote it.....

Thanks Vladimir, Thanks Marc!

That's what I needed! Great!

Best,
Tasha

What about the Arduino? Its cheap, IO is plentiful, easy to interface.

Mark

Yes, I’m looking into this as well. The local hackerspace is just preparing a workshop about this µC.

Thanks Mark!

Depending on what your end result needs to be or how complex your system will end up, ROS.org has a great library to interface Phidgets Inc. products. Also plenty of other tools you may find usfull