meeting minutes & transcript 6/7

I'll post minutes to the wiki shortly

     * roll call
All students present except Varun, who had an interview
Some mentors present: katie, koen, michael (notzed), cmurillo1, soren (ssc)

     * projects page

New page complete at http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/GSoC/2010_Projects
Students filled in a few missing slots

     * calendar

Noted that a shareable calendar was available & offered to share with those who didn't have it

     * weekly reports & reminder

5 of 6 reports available at meeting time, 6th one (Nicolas) showed up just after the meeting

[at this point, notzed pointed out that there was an official agenda I hadn't seen yet]

     * Are all the blog post e-mails showing up ok?

- blog posts reposted via google have no titles, so impossible to tell from whence they came
- mentors don't seem to care whether info comes from blog post or plain text paste-in

     * Is everyone interested in recording an audio track and providing slides for Lightning Talks before June 23?

Several students interested, I offered assistance with recording & slides

     * Is anyone blocked on their project for any reason?

Final exams & couch surfing, but no technical blockages
Tobias has family event over the next week but will stay in touch, won't be in meeting next week

     * Do the mentors feel that the students have schedules and are making good progress against those schedules?

Mentors who responded said yes, most seem to be very slightly behind due to exams & such but
schedules exist & students are working toward them

ENDED 11 minutes late

Transcript:

(06:58:33 AM) maltanar: hi everyone!
(06:58:47 AM) ppoudel: hi maltanar
(06:59:12 AM) drinkcat: hi all!
(06:59:44 AM) ppoudel: hi drinkcat
(07:00:45 AM) eFfeM_work: yo
(07:01:36 AM) topfs2: hi
(07:01:45 AM) ssc [~c2efb9b3@gateway/web/freenode/x-hoizbxdyrhyueszl] entered the room.
(07:01:51 AM) ssc: Hello
(07:02:22 AM) maltanar: hej!
(07:02:43 AM) cfriedt: hello :slight_smile:
(07:03:40 AM) notzed: evening all
(07:04:05 AM) Jefro: Hi all
(07:04:15 AM) ppoudel: hi
(07:05:55 AM) katie [~katierh@nat/ti/x-vtjculdfpskdosva] entered the room.
(07:06:03 AM) Jefro: is Crofton here? we both volunteered to run the meting this morning
(07:06:10 AM) Jefro: (morning for me anyway)
(07:06:27 AM) Crofton: Jefro, can you run the meeting after all
(07:06:45 AM) Crofton: I had something come up and need to leave town for a few days
(07:06:51 AM) Crofton: I am in a panic
(07:06:59 AM) Jefro: no worries
(07:07:12 AM) Jefro: hope everything works out ok. deep breaths. :slight_smile:
(07:07:25 AM) ***notzed thinks of hans reiser for some reason
(07:07:28 AM) _koen_: good morning all
(07:07:30 AM) notzed: :wink:
(07:07:48 AM) ppoudel: good morning _koen_
(07:07:56 AM) Jefro: just looking over the agenda - good morning _koen_
(07:08:19 AM) ssc: _Koen_: aren't you in Europe - Morning?
(07:09:54 AM) Jefro: ok, shall we get started? not a huge agenda this morning
(07:10:57 AM) koen: ssc: http://www.total-knowledge.com/~ilya/mips/ugt.html
(07:11:36 AM) Jefro: ha - that's great
(07:12:02 AM) Jefro: shall we take roll? students first, just chime in if you didn't earlier
(07:12:11 AM) Jefro: I think I saw everyone
(07:12:16 AM) topfs2: I'm here atleast :slight_smile:
(07:12:17 AM) ***maltanar is here
(07:12:34 AM) ppoudel: I am here too.
(07:12:40 AM) ssc: koen: Hmm - Just showed my total missing understanding of IRC talk :slight_smile: - I admit I'm pretty new to IRC...
(07:12:59 AM) drinkcat: I'm here...
(07:13:05 AM) cfriedt: me too
(07:13:18 AM) Jefro: ok, cool - that's 6
(07:13:23 AM) Jefro: how about mentors?
(07:13:23 AM) topfs2: koen, haha
(07:13:25 AM) katie: here
(07:13:34 AM) notzed: here
(07:13:35 AM) cmurillo1: here
(07:13:40 AM) ssc: here
(07:13:59 AM) eFfeM_work: me 2
(07:14:40 AM) Jefro: thought I saw mru here as well
(07:14:47 AM) Jefro: how bout ds2?
(07:15:10 AM) ***Jefro listens to the crickets
(07:15:36 AM) cmurillo1: I think we are missing one student as well, Varun
(07:16:31 AM) Jefro: hey, you're right. why was my count off?
(07:17:09 AM) Jefro: I do see Varun's weekly report
(07:17:44 AM) cmurillo1: yeah, he had an interview today, maybe he won't be able to make to the meeting
(07:17:55 AM) Jefro: ah, good for him
(07:18:11 AM) Jefro: cmurillo1 thanks
(07:18:54 AM) Jefro: so I thought we'd get through the minor business and then provide room for weekly reports & any questions
(07:19:53 AM) Jefro: there is now a projects page on the wiki at http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/GSoC/2010_Projects
(07:20:21 AM) Jefro: each project has a small entry that shows who, what, & where plus a short RSS feed with the titles of the last 3 blog posts
(07:20:49 AM) Jefro: (I had the dates on there but they all said 1970, I guess the mediawiki RSS doesn't grok blogger.com)
(07:21:01 AM) maltanar: hehe :slight_smile:
(07:21:53 AM) Jefro: Please check your info, make adjustments, etc. There is repository info missing for topfs2, cfriedt, and varun
(07:21:56 AM) cfriedt: Jefro: actually... I noticed that the Wiki page is linking to the incorrect blog. It's pointing to perpetual-notion (my personal blog) but it should be pointing at gsoc2010-fftw-neon (.blogspot.com)
(07:22:22 AM) Jefro: ah, my bad - I finished it at midnight after taking allergy medication
(07:22:26 AM) Jefro: sorry about that
(07:22:38 AM) Jefro: copy & paste
(07:22:47 AM) topfs2: Hmm Jefro I've missed that, will update ASAP
(07:22:50 AM) cfriedt: should i adjust it, or do you want to?
(07:23:08 AM) Jefro: if you want to go ahead and put in your correct blog & repository, that would be marvelous
(07:23:20 AM) cfriedt: Jefro: also... I've had a repo up for ... months
(07:23:27 AM) cfriedt: cool
(07:23:48 AM) Jefro: thanks - I was just missing the link
(07:24:01 AM) mru: cfriedt: repo good, code bettr
(07:24:11 AM) Jefro: documentation best :slight_smile:
(07:25:26 AM) cfriedt: I'll check in my code ... sorry for being a code-hermit
(07:25:48 AM) ***cfriedt updated the wiki
(07:25:57 AM) Jefro: cool - real-time fixes
(07:26:13 AM) Jefro: as for the calendar, I think we got it working and shared properly last week. if anyone doesn't have access to the google calendar, raise hand and I'll figure out how to get you the right link
(07:26:45 AM) maltanar: is the calendar meant to contain anything else than the regular meeting dates? should we check it regularly?
(07:26:57 AM) Jefro: at this point, that's all it has
(07:27:01 AM) maltanar: (leaving out changes in the weekly meeting time, of course :))
(07:27:28 AM) Jefro: later in the summer it might have important deadlines, etc. the idea was to share it so that changes could propagate to everyone's calendars
(07:27:44 AM) Jefro: (maltanar - like meeting times)
(07:27:59 AM) maltanar: okay, got it :slight_smile:
(07:28:09 AM) maltanar: thanks
(07:28:14 AM) Jefro: :slight_smile:
(07:28:54 AM) Jefro: more important than meetings, though, are project deadlines from google. I'm sure you all have those set up in your calendars already (RIGHT!?! <hairy eyeball>)
(07:29:44 AM) maltanar: they're burned into our brains :slight_smile:
(07:29:55 AM) Jefro: maltanar hahaha, I bet
(07:30:06 AM) ***maltanar had to cancel some travel plans because of the mid-term evaluations
(07:30:08 AM) Jefro: personally I have to force myself to look at my calendar if it doesn't reach out and whomp me
(07:30:58 AM) ***topfs2 updated wiki to contain blog and repo
(07:31:07 AM) Jefro: topfs2 excellent, thanks!
(07:32:33 AM) Jefro: moving on, all I have left on agenda is weekly reports. I'm not sure I saw all 6 come through on the mailing list.
(07:33:03 AM) Jefro: did see _koen_ 's reminder, thanks
(07:33:04 AM) maltanar: one related q: is it OK just to post the blog link to the weekly report, or was it preferred to have a copy in the mail itself as well?
(07:33:46 AM) notzed: jefro: did you see this? http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/GSoC/Meetings/20100607
(07:34:05 AM) drinkcat: maltanar: better to have a copy, so people can comment on specific points...
(07:34:14 AM) Jefro: notzed ha! no, thanks
(07:34:33 AM) topfs2: I would say having the weekly report in the mail is good, makes it easier to comment on
(07:34:38 AM) Jefro: maltanar agreed, I'd rather see the text in the email - don't always like to click through
(07:34:53 AM) Jefro: and it facilitates comments & discussion
(07:35:42 AM) Jefro: speaking of which, now that notzed has found the "alternate" agenda, there are a few other things to discuss
(07:36:02 AM) topfs2: lol I think that one was the "official" :wink:
(07:36:10 AM) Jefro: but to finish up on weekly reports, please make sure they get posted to the list.
(07:36:24 AM) Jefro: topfs2 shhhh
(07:36:33 AM) drinkcat: okay, but if there are posted through the feed, we don't need to repost, right?
(07:36:42 AM) drinkcat: s/there/they/
(07:36:51 AM) cfriedt: i was just about to ask the same question
(07:36:52 AM) Jefro: that is correct, although I had a comment/complaint about that.
(07:37:19 AM) Jefro: google reader doesn't seem to put the blog title in the post, so I don't always know which blog it comes from
(07:37:21 AM) ***eFfeM_work suggests if you post thorugh the feed that you start with the title
(07:37:56 AM) drinkcat: I asked jkridner to add the title automatically, but I don't know if it's feasible...
(07:38:10 AM) Jefro: eFfeM_work that's a good workaround, but I think the error is with google. I'll take an action item to either make it work or get jkridner to do it.
(07:38:11 AM) topfs2: tbh I almost prefer the normal mail instead of the RSS, easier to have a discussion in one thread instead of a clunked discussion?
(07:38:52 AM) Jefro: I prefer regular text in email as well, but the automated blog post -> email is pretty snazzy for those who only want to update in one place
(07:39:14 AM) drinkcat: topfs2: actually I would prefer email too, so I can cc my mentors to make sure they see my posts...
(07:40:46 AM) Jefro: pasting the text from the blog post into an email message isn't too onerous for those who want to do that. I'm not sure we need a different policy as long as the info shows up in the list one way or another.
(07:41:06 AM) cfriedt: Nicolas, are you present? what's your nick?
(07:41:14 AM) Jefro: the hard part is actually writing the info each week, so we (mentors) want to facilitate that however possible
(07:41:31 AM) drinkcat: cfriedt: it's me...
(07:42:03 AM) drinkcat: Jefro: ok I'll repost on the list then.
(07:42:15 AM) Jefro: drinkcat thanks
(07:42:38 AM) Jefro: mentors, do any of you have comments about text vs. reposted blog posts
(07:42:42 AM) Jefro: for weekly reports
(07:43:26 AM) notzed: email's good, but so long as something show's up it'll suffice.
(07:44:17 AM) ssc: Agree - Format isn't important
(07:44:56 AM) Jefro: so ruled <gavel bangs>
(07:45:09 AM) Jefro: wow, time flies - moving on
(07:45:20 AM) Jefro: Is everyone interested in recording an audio track and providing slides for Lightning Talks before June 23?
(07:45:48 AM) Jefro: Lightning talks are only 5 minutes but it is great practice at presenting your stuff in front of a friendly (and virtual) audience
(07:46:16 AM) maltanar: erm
(07:46:28 AM) maltanar: okay :slight_smile:
(07:46:51 AM) jkridner1 [~a0321898@nat/ti/x-jewbfsatpzhfugva] entered the room.
(07:46:52 AM) Jefro: cool, there's one! anyone else? everyone thinking hard on how to get out of it?
(07:46:53 AM) ***maltanar thinks it should be nice to hear others' voices too
(07:46:53 AM) ppoudel: yep
(07:47:05 AM) Jefro: hi jkridner1, just in time - we are discussing lightning talks
(07:47:13 AM) topfs2: I am comfortable with doing it, is any of the old ones available so one knows how it *should* be
(07:47:45 AM) Jefro: the older lightning talks are online, jkridner1 probably knows the link but I'll look it up and mail it out after the meeting
(07:48:24 AM) Jefro: here it is: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/ETechDays_Community_Lightning_Talks
(07:48:37 AM) Jefro: from last November
(07:48:46 AM) topfs2: ah nice!
(07:49:01 AM) ***eFfeM_work has to leave, feel free to leave a msg if needed
(07:49:15 AM) Jefro: eFfeM_work ok, thanks
(07:49:32 AM) topfs2: So we need to produce an audio file and slides? and a video with them merged?
(07:49:41 AM) topfs2: And roughly 5min long?
(07:49:46 AM) Jefro: that's the idea, yes
(07:50:17 AM) ppoudel: does the audio and slides need to be synchronized?
(07:50:22 AM) maltanar: okay, sounds good
(07:50:23 AM) Jefro: at least I think that's what jkridner1 requested
(07:50:41 AM) Jefro: I'm not sure how useful it would be if audio & slides were out of sync
(07:51:07 AM) topfs2: explaining the project, whats needed to be done and what the gains would be if its successfull? (basically the gsoc proposal but for a wider audience?)
(07:51:28 AM) Jefro: yes, in 5 minutes I imagine you won't have time for anything else
(07:51:39 AM) topfs2: Sounds like fun
(07:51:52 AM) Jefro: showing your timeline & progress on a slide would be good as well
(07:52:02 AM) Jefro: in November, we also had the option of presenting live, although the presentation times are US-centric so not good for europe
(07:52:21 AM) ***maltanar would look very, very sleepy at that time
(07:52:46 AM) Jefro: maltanar lol - that's me at this meeting (7am my time)
(07:52:50 AM) topfs2: I think jkridner mentioned it was possible to do it as a recording instead of live
(07:53:04 AM) Jefro: I have a little experience with public speaking & would be happy to help anyone who needs it with slides & talk
(07:53:13 AM) topfs2: (I know I would probably prefer that since then its less likely to screw up in the english :slight_smile: )
(07:53:16 AM) Jefro: yes, a recording is the easiest way
(07:53:49 AM) drinkcat: does anyone know a good tool to record audio+slides in sync?
(07:53:58 AM) Jefro: windows movie maker? LOL
(07:54:02 AM) Jefro: sorry
(07:54:02 AM) topfs2: pitivi?
(07:54:23 AM) Jefro: pitivi, kdenlive, ...
(07:54:55 AM) drinkcat: okay thanks
(07:54:59 AM) Jefro: there was a newer video editor that was very good & basic, looking
(07:55:54 AM) Jefro: obviously I don't use it very often
(07:56:13 AM) cfriedt: i might bail on the lightning talks... although i was planning on doing a bit of a media package (video, slides, tutorial) toward the end of the project
(07:56:51 AM) Jefro: I'm sure there will be other opportunities to present
(07:57:05 AM) ***maltanar checks the time
(07:57:06 AM) maltanar: I have to leave a bit early today to catch my plane - can I catch up later?
(07:57:19 AM) Jefro: maltanar yes, no prob - we are going late, sorry about that
(07:57:31 AM) maltanar: no worries, it's good healthy discussion.
(07:57:33 AM) Jefro: OpenShot is the program I was trying to remember
(07:57:48 AM) maltanar: I just have to pack my whole room into 30 kgs of two tiny suitcases.
(07:58:02 AM) Jefro: maltanar good luck! :slight_smile:
(07:58:26 AM) maltanar: thanks :slight_smile: I'll read the meeting minutes later on the wiki. have a good meeting y'all!
(07:59:00 AM) Jefro: maltanar - bye
(07:59:05 AM) Jefro: so, contact me for help with lightning talks if needed, otherwise get 'em to jkridner
(07:59:24 AM) Jefro: moving on, is anyone blocked on their project for any reason?
(07:59:53 AM) ***Jefro hears more crickets
(07:59:55 AM) ***cfriedt hears crickets chirping
(07:59:57 AM) cfriedt: lol ...
(08:00:01 AM) Jefro: noisy in here
(08:00:12 AM) Jefro: well, that's good if 2/3 of students aren't blocked
(08:00:15 AM) cfriedt: please, one person at a time!
(08:00:26 AM) ppoudel: Moving on, but its pretty slow for me.
(08:01:01 AM) topfs2: Not blocked in any real way but it might be worth saying I won't have my computer for the next week
(08:01:07 AM) Jefro: that's the nature of software development. the first half of the project takes 90% of the available time.
(08:01:18 AM) Jefro: (the second half takes the next 90%)
(08:01:31 AM) topfs2: Need to fill in and help my gf's moms business, which involves travels :S
(08:01:34 AM) Jefro: topfs2 - no computer sounds like a blockage
(08:01:35 AM) ppoudel: haha
(08:02:03 AM) topfs2: Well I will have my phone and my netbook probably, so I'll be accessible :slight_smile: and I will be able to read up on some stuff I still haven't found time to do
(08:02:07 AM) Jefro: some blockages are unavoidable. be sure to holler for help if needed.
(08:02:26 AM) topfs2: But yeah, its abit of a blockage. But only this week, after that I'll be 150% free :slight_smile:
(08:02:38 AM) Jefro: ha... perfect
(08:02:40 AM) maltanar left the room (quit: Ping timeout: 252 seconds).
(08:03:01 AM) topfs2: So notzed and others thats why I won't be on IRC next week :slight_smile:
(08:03:11 AM) notzed: yep no problem
(08:03:11 AM) Jefro: noted
(08:03:50 AM) Jefro: ok, if no other blockages, let's take care of the last agenda item - trying to stay somewhat within our hour
(08:03:53 AM) Jefro: Do the mentors feel that the students have schedules and are making good progress against those schedules?
(08:05:02 AM) ***Jefro notes how loud the crickets are today
(08:05:08 AM) Jefro: any mentors still listening?
(08:05:41 AM) cfriedt: I can probably speak for Mans (mru) in that I'm slightly behind schedule do to moving house the week before last
(08:05:54 AM) notzed: given exams, delays in hardware, i think so
(08:06:17 AM) Jefro: crfiedt that seems understandable - the real question is, do you have a schedule to get behind on
(08:06:25 AM) katie: i think we're a hair behind schedule but working on catching up. delays were a mix fo setup issues, exams, etc
(08:06:29 AM) cfriedt: i am homeless (well... couch-surfing) until june 15th, when i pack my life into two bags and fly home
(08:06:33 AM) Jefro: which sounds like a yes
(08:07:12 AM) Jefro: I'm sure exams threw everyone late - schedules are often optimistic at the start
(08:07:16 AM) cfriedt: Jefro: yes - mans has set a couple of goals for me to get done before next week - but it's coming along well otherwise
(08:07:16 AM) topfs2: Yeah I think I am abit behind my original estimate, but then again, how good are estimates :slight_smile:
(08:07:23 AM) Jefro: and couch surfing is always a minor blockage :slight_smile:
(08:07:38 AM) Jefro: cfriedt excellent
(08:07:57 AM) Jefro: topfs2 that sounds good - good idea to revise estimates as you go, too
(08:08:15 AM) Jefro: I have reached the end of more than one project with 10% left to complete and 0 time to do it in
(08:08:49 AM) Jefro: which is what makes me the captain of industry I am today (hint hint)
(08:08:50 AM) topfs2: Yup, good news is that there have been a real friendly guy with much ogl es experience that have tried lots of stuff for me when I was without hw and he have been able to speed up xbmc already rather significant, which makes me not having to test those stuff :slight_smile:
(08:09:18 AM) Jefro: topfs2 ah, the magic of open-source software has granted you a wish
(08:09:32 AM) Jefro: magical daemon, maybe
(08:09:42 AM) topfs2: lol yeah :slight_smile:
(08:10:31 AM) Jefro: well, if anyone encounters major schedule problems, blockages, etc. don't be afraid to holler for help, that's what mentors are for
(08:11:30 AM) cfriedt: i'm getting kicked out of my lab (no key, so i have to go when everyone else goes) ...
(08:11:40 AM) cfriedt: anything else?
(08:11:43 AM) Jefro: other than that, we may be able to just adjourn
(08:12:00 AM) Jefro: only 11 minutes late (see about that 90%?)
(08:12:02 AM) cfriedt: ok
(08:12:08 AM) cfriedt: ciao
(08:12:10 AM) cfriedt left the room.
(08:12:11 AM) Jefro: thanks everyone
(08:12:36 AM) drinkcat: good (UGT) night everyone then
(08:12:46 AM) notzed: hmm, now it's morning

I'll post minutes to the wiki shortly

* roll call
All students present except Varun, who had an interview
Some mentors present: katie, koen, michael (notzed), cmurillo1, soren (ssc)

Frans (eFfeM) was also there during the first 45 minutes

* projects page

New page complete at http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/GSoC/2010_Projects
Students filled in a few missing slots

* calendar

Noted that a shareable calendar was available & offered to share with those
who didn't have it

* weekly reports & reminder

5 of 6 reports available at meeting time, 6th one (Nicolas) showed up just
after the meeting

Actually this one was sent before (Posted: 06 Jun 2010 01:43 PM PDT)
but there was no title in the feed.

Btw: do we want to post the transcripts?

Frans

   

I'll post minutes to the wiki shortly

    * roll call
All students present except Varun, who had an interview
Some mentors present: katie, koen, michael (notzed), cmurillo1, soren (ssc)
     

Frans (eFfeM) was also there during the first 45 minutes
   
Sorry Frans - I put you in the minutes online but missed you in the version I sent to the list

5 of 6 reports available at meeting time, 6th one (Nicolas) showed up just
after the meeting
     

Actually this one was sent before (Posted: 06 Jun 2010 01:43 PM PDT)
but there was no title in the feed.
   
Working on that this week (titles in the feeds). I also notice that there is some delay between sending a note to this mailing list and when it actually gets posted.

Btw: do we want to post the transcripts?

Sure - actually, maybe I'll make them available on the wiki