mis-encoded data from UART0

I got a custom made GPS device which outputs coordinates on RS232 every 10sec. This uses just 3 pins RX TX and GND. I’ve connected corresponding pins to BBB serial debug port. BBB is driven by ubuntu. I’ve set the given baud rate with

$ sudo stty -F /dev/ttyO0 57600

and listened the port with

$ sudo cat /dev/ttyO0

5����������������������������-75�g!#1-g!#1-75����������������������������g!#1-75���������������������������g!#1-75����������������������������-75�g!#1-75������#1-75����������������������������-75�g!#1-75���

I get this mis-encoded data every 10sec instead of Longitude and Latitude.

Do RTC keeps running if we plug in 5V with out booting up the BBB? If so, are there any affects if I leave BBB plugged in?

/dev/ttyO0 is the console port, connect it to any of the ttyO1 - ttyO5 ports. Make sure that pin muxing is correct and the signal level are compatible.

/dev/ttyO0 is the console port, connect it to any of the ttyO1 - ttyO5 ports. Make sure that pin muxing is correct and the signal level are compatible.

do you refer console port to serial debug port? there are no devices /dev/ttyO1 - /dev/ttyO5 !

see there :wink:

http://beagleboard.org/Community/Forums?place=topic%2Fbeagleboard%2Fpf1MNKptqS0%2Fdiscussion