Missing packages in Ubuntu 13.04 on BeagleBone Black

I’ve been trying to install ROS robot from source onto Ubuntu 13.04. I’ve run into two missing packages: sbcl, and collada-dom-dev. The former is a dependency I was able to ignore, but I don’t think I can ignore the latter.

Any idea how I can get this installed? I can build it from source if need be, but I want to make sure apt believes it to be installed. I’m a rare Ubuntu user, so I don’t really know the details.

Thanks!

Rick,

I myself have tried many versions of Ubuntu image over BBBlack and I suggest not to use Ubuntu but use Debian since it already consists of it, there are some problems out of which the most prominent problem seems to be of X display , no matter what all is tweaked it still shows a blank screen for many!
If destined to use Ubuntu anyway then I would suggest using Ubuntu 12 image, I got the Desktop with it and was perfectly able to use the VNC server and client to access it remotely!

Another thing Robert Nelson himself depicted that if this is going to be the case with UBuntu then he will in future drop all support for it.

Hi,

would be sufficient with the deb package installation?

http://wiki.ros.org/hydro/Installation/UbuntuARM

I have a BBB running ubuntu 13.04 with ROS Hydro.

regards,
Nuno

- --
http://aeminium.org/nuno/

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I've been trying to install ROS robot from source onto Ubuntu 13.04. I've

Hi,

would be sufficient with the deb package installation?

hydro/Installation/UbuntuARM - ROS Wiki

I have a BBB running ubuntu 13.04 with ROS Hydro.

Probably that's all I need. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what I did, although I'm not sure if I pointed to the same initial mirror.

I tried to install the robot set of packages. There's a note on that page that says those suggested installs fail due to their dependency on lisp, and sure enough, I had that failure. I removed the roslisp dependencies and got past that, only to have it fail later on collada-dev-whatever.

Have you had any luck installing ROS on 13.04?
I flashed Ubuntu 13.04 to my BBB and had trouble installing ROS (I think it stopped at the same roslisp dependency)
Do you know how to fix that? Would switching to Debian be of any use or do I have to build ROS from source/how do I do that?

Nope, no luck, got discouraged and haven't tried.

That’s disappointing… Do you happen to know which packages that ros-hydro-ros-base installs in particular?
I only need the most basic functionality (no fancy libraries) … so maybe I can install them manually?

Compiling from source is something I am completely unfamiliar with.

Nope. I've barely gotten to where I can install autoconf-based stuff. ROS is stupidly complicated.

Wellllll crap… I’ll look into it more deeply this weekend… no promises

Good luck! It would be awesome.

I just tried installing again and everything worked.
I made a clean install of UbuntuARM 13.04 and carefully followed the instructions on the ROS UbuntuARM install wiki… I didn’t come across any of the dependency issues I had before hand… odd… but I’m not complaining!

That's great news. I wonder if a package(s) has been updated.

I sure hope thats the case… otherwise I blame it on voodoo magic…

Nothings voodoo magic in comp sci its all hidden anomalies

Thanks & Regards,
Nishant