Missing symlink for custom made dts overlay

Hello, I reverse engineered a dts overlay for BeagleBone AI-64 from the overlays in this repository, for the MAIN_MCAN0 interface like this:

BONE-CAN0.dts made by me

// SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
/*
 * Copyright (C) 2022 BeagleBoard.org - https://beagleboard.org/
 * https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_cape_interface_spec#CAN
 */

/dts-v1/;
/plugin/;

/*
 * Helper to show loaded overlays under: /proc/device-tree/chosen/overlays/
 */
&{/chosen} {
	overlays {
		BONE-CAN0.kernel = __TIMESTAMP__;
	};
};

&bone_can_0 {
	status = "okay";
};

my definition of the bone_can_0 in the file k3-j721e-beagleboneai64-bone-buses.dtsi from the above mentioned repo

bone_can_0: &main_mcan0 {
	pinctrl-names = "default";
	pinctrl-0 = <
		&P9_19_can_pin /* mcan0_rx */
		&P9_20_can_pin /* mcan0_tx */
	>;
	symlink = "bone/can/0";
	status = "disabled";
};

With these changes I installed the whole repo with the sudo make install_arm64 to my Beagle. Then, I edited the file extlinux.conf in the directory /boot/firmware/extlinux/ like this

label Linux eMMC
    kernel /Image
    append console=ttyS2,115200n8 earlycon=ns16550a,mmio32,0x02800000 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ro rootfstype=ext4 rootwait net.ifnames=0
    fdtdir /
    fdtoverlays /overlays/BONE-CAN0.dtbo
    initrd /initrd.img

then saved and rebooted the Beagle. After that I checked ifconfig -a where I saw, that the MAIN_MCAN0 interface is seen by the Beagle as can0. Since can0 was down I set it up with commands

sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 1000000 dbitrate 8000000 restart-ms 1000 berr-reporting on fd on
sudo ifconfig can0 txqueuelen 65536

Finally, I connected the interface to a CAN bus over a CAN transciever and tested it with utilities candump and cansend. The interface seems to work correctly.

The issue is, that the symlink I defined in the file k3-j721e-beagleboneai64-bone-buses.dtsi for the bone_can_0, doesn’t show up in my Beagle’s directory /dev/bone/. I tested this with other overlays that were in the repo originally, like the overlay BONE-UART1.dts and BONE-I2C1.dts and for them there is an entry. So I must be doing something wrong. Unfortunately I have no idea what.

Thank you for any advice in advance.