Moderation temporarily disabled

I've temporarily disabled the moderation feature of the Google Groups.
This may result in a slight increase in the spam over the short term,
but I hope that you can bare with us as the inability for new members
to post at all seems to be the more fundamental issue right now.

If this bothers you, I highly suggest you visit the on-line forum
(https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/beagleboard) and
click the "My Membership" button for the option to get a digest or no
e-mail for the next couple of weeks while we work out the issue.
Please keep coming back and we'll notify via the on-line forum once
moderation is re-enabled.

Regards,
Jason

Make sure you do not mark these as SPAM. If you do, you will not be receiving any emails going forward. The digest method is the best solution.

Gerald

I think a better approach then No Moderation is to make it so only
members of the group can post, but anyone can join.

This stops random internet spam quite a bit, and works well on the 5
google groups I run.

--George

For the Yahoo groups that I run, new members have to be approved and all members have moderated status until they make their first post. If it is acceptable, it is approved and they given unmoderated status. There is virtually no spam.

Leon

I think a better approach then No Moderation is to make it so only
members of the group can post, but anyone can join.

That is already the case. I’m not sure how spammers manage to join. I suspect they utilized the “directly add” exploit some time ago and are just now being blocked/removed from the list.

For the Yahoo groups that I run, new members have to be approved and all members have moderated status until they make their first post. If it is acceptable, it is approved and they given unmoderated status. There is virtually no spam.

That approach has been working for us pretty well for years and has led to very little spam on this mailing list. What is new is that we’ve been unable to approve any of the posts from new members. I’m a bit surprised as much spam got through as what did, but I suspect these were bogus members that got through some time ago and never got blocked or some other bug with the moderation feature.

I know blaming policy is a natural first instinct, but this time it really is Google’s tool that is generating the issue.