Monitor and Security

Dear all,
I’m new in this and I want to buy a beagleboard. I need it to do two things:

1. Control a monitor
  2. Control a security web cam
    In the first case it is quite simple, as I have seen I can install an Android OS and I can build in Appinventor an app to display what I want.
    But in the second case I don’t how to manage it.
    The idea is to buy a normal webcam link it to the beagleboard, link to the board a motion sensor and in case of motion take a picture every 1 or 5 seconds and store it in a appengine solution.
    Can I do it with beagleboard? I can write in Python, but I’m not really good with linux and ubuntu, so there any other solutions?

Thanks

Max

Check this tutorial :

http://embeddedgeeks.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/beagleboard-as-a-wireless-ip-camera-for-home-surveillance-2/

Ayoub Zaki
http://embeddedgeeks.wordpress.com

Thanks, but I was thinking to have android on it as I need to control a monitor too and for me is quite easy to use appinventor to create what I need. But I can’t understand how to stream the cam with android.

Massimiliano wrote:

Thanks, but I was thinking to have android on it as I need to control a monitor too and for me is quite easy to use
appinventor to create what I need. But I can't understand how to stream the cam with android.

by default, Android does not support USB webcams, neither
in low level nor in the media API. So you would have
to work *on* Android first to make it support USB webcams
before you start writing an app that uses them...

Uhm, I’m not used to Linux (or others).
Do you think I could develop in Python an app to remote control a monitor and to control a webcam?
And if I can, where can I find tutorials?

2012/3/27 Vladimir Pantelic <vladoman@gmail.com>

Massimiliano wrote:

Uhm, I'm not used to Linux (or others).

then maybe this task is not for you.

Do you think I could develop in Python an app to remote control a monitor and to control a webcam?

I have no idea what you are capable of...