Mouse slow on beagleboard black (default angstrom install)

Hello all :slight_smile:

After finding out (I’m using an HDMI to VGA converter) that such a device needs to be powered in order to work with the beaglebone black(!) I’m having just a couple of issues.

I’m running the default install of angstrom off the internal memory of my beaglebone black. I’ve not made any changes to it and I can get a display ok via an HDMI to VGA converter (actually, I bought this one – http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBone_Black_Accessories#HDMI-VGA_Adapters ) .

Only problem I’m having when using the default angstrom install off the built-in memory on the 'black (the display is ok with this version) is when using a USB mouse on the beaglebone black I found the mouse pointer to be very slow and stuttery almost unsuable. Anyone else having this problem at all?

BTW I did also try downloding a newer image ( Angstrom-Cloud9-IDE-GNOME-eglibc-ipk-v2012.12-beaglebone-2013.06.06.img ) and wrote it out to an SD card, unfortunatly although I could boot and I could see a beagleboard logo and angstrom login screen the display fails after that point.

ljones

Are you sure it is just the mouse and not maybe your screen? Does the terminal and keyboard output work at the correct speed? or are those “laggy” as well?

Ok. This is really weird.

I didn’t get the chance to try a USB keyboard last night but I’ve now just tried the beaglebone black with a USB hub. The results are … hit and miss to say the least.

When it works (I’ve only had it work a total of twice now) if I connect through a hub the mouse pointer works fine. Also so did a keyboard which was connected into the hub along with the mouse. The problem though is that it is very intermittent.

Power off and on again but with the USB mouse in (no hub or keyboard) this time the beaglebone dosen’t even see the mouse - no response at all. Power off and on again and the beaglebone sees the mouse once more.

Unplug mouse and press reset and reconnect hub. Nothing seen again. Power off and on again and try again, no joy. Haven’t been able to get the hub to work with the beaglebone :frowning:

USB seems super-flaky.

ljones

Sounds like your DC power supply may be noisy. You also need to make sure everything in your setup. board, converter, display, etc. all connect to the same power strip.

Gerald

Sounds like your DC power supply may be noisy. You also need to make sure everything in your setup. board, converter, display, etc. all connect to the same power strip.

Ok I tried a different power supply to power the beaglebone. Also tried a different power supply for the converter. They’re all connected (as best I can) to the same power strip. No joy didn’t seem to change anything at all.

ljones

You may have an issue with the board of some kind.May be best to request an RMA and have it looked at.

Gerald

Just to make sure btw, I tried a different USB mouse. A Different usb mouse - by itself (not via a hub) worked better.

But … it still hates USB hubs. No go on that one still.

Here’s a picture of the two USB hubs I tried - http://spfiles.no-ip.org/tmp/usb-hubs.jpg

ljones

I have tried it with several USB hubs and it works fine. Did you look at the list of HUBs that are known to work?

Gerald

I didn’t to start off with I just tried the only two USB hubs I have. Was hoping they’d work. Ah well. x.x

I wonder what could make one USB hub work but cause another to fail? Surely USB is USB – wouldn’t a USB hub to a computer look like just a collection of extra USB ports/devices?

ljones

USB is USB. But Cheap USB is not always USB. Some HIUBs work and some HUBs do not. I have had good results with wireless keyboards and mice combos.

Gerald

Guess I’ll have to buy another usb hub to give it a try. Only problem I can think of is after looking at the listed USB hubs ( http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=BeagleBone_Black_Accessories#USB_HUBS ) none of them seem to be powered. Might that cause problems as opposed to a powered hub?

ljones

Powered or unpowered is fine. As long as you do not go over 500ma, you do not need powered. The 10 port one had a DC power jack on it. In fact, it is the same one as is used on the BBB,

Gerald

Ok I decided to go for the 10-port hub. Got the same one (checked model number/maker) as well. Hopefully it’ll work!

SP

It should. Mine does!

Gerald