my Beaglebone Black has gone crazy

One day I was struggling to get my Dallas 1 wire temperature sensor working. The problem was that no 28-xxx files were appearing in the file system. Owfs was working but no readings were happening. The next day lots of things are suddenly not working on my BBB.

For instance, I was using VisualPru which is a python program that puts out a primitive pru dev environment at 192.168.7.2:3333. It now crashes and says “Bus error.” I was writing some c++ programs out of Qt Creator that use libpruio and the Qwt widget set. They now crash with “segmentation fault.” Even the libpruio examples in FreeBasic now fail saying “initialisation failed (failed opening prussdrv library)”

I looked through dmesg and found this

[ 120.941638] FAT-fs (mmcblk1p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
[ 121.280670] FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Could that have been the power outage? I set up e2fsck to run fsck on every boot but I still get the same error in dmesg. Should I back up my microSD card and get a better one? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Although it doesn’t seem to ever have happened to me, Derek Malloy in his boot Exploring Beaglebone says:
“Do not shut down the BBB by pulling out the power jack/USB power. You should use the hardware power button or a software shutdown command.”

I’ve had to do this a few times and seemed to have gotten away with it, but I use the power button now if I cant give a software shutdown command (sudo shutdown -hP now).

Sounds like your eMMC and/or SD card has been corrupted, possibly by power problems.

If the card is corrupted backing it up won’t really help other that to be sure you have copies of any config files you’ve edited assuming they are not corrupt.

I’d try re-installing any packages that used to work but don’t now, or if all the config and source files you’ve edited are fine, start over with a new SD card image.

I’ve had to do this when an apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade went awry and left me with a system that wouldn’t install the USB gadget, boot X, or allow ssh in.

Good luck!
–wally.

man e2fsck

NAME
        e2fsck - check a Linux ext2/ext3/ext4 file

You want to look into running fsck.vfat on those partitions, e2fsck will do nothing for them...

Mike

I just ran badblocks and it found zero bad blocks on both /dev/mmcblk0p1 and 0p2. Is there a history of apt-get installs? Maybe some package came in that kicked out something that I need?