Need help with code compilation (BeBoPr Cape)

Hi everybody,

I’m a total newbie on the BeagleBone topic. I have done some Linux dev. in the past, but I am coming across lots of things I have never had to do - Device Tree overlays, recompiling the kernel, etc…

I am trying to get the code for the BeBoPr Cape compiled and running, but in fact, I’m stuck, and frustrated, so I am reaching
out to you for some help.
I see instructions on Bas Laarhoven’s page on how to compile the code, but I’m not quite sure how to get the adc, pwm and gpio modules in there.
“Also the adc, pwm and gpio interfaces should be present in the /sys filesystem …”

I compiled and obviously, there are complaints that the interfaces are missing. See instructions here:
https://github.com/modmaker/BeBoPr/wiki/Code-Compilation

My config is straight out of the box :
Linux beaglebone 3.2.34 #1 Wed Nov 21 14:17:11 CET 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

Also, it seems the dtc package is not there and I need it. I can’t even seem to locate that.

Questions: Has anyone got this to work? If so, did you upgrade/change the kernel or change OS completely?

What did you do that might not be documented?

Any instructions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Walter

Hi everybody,

I'm a total newbie on the BeagleBone topic. I have done some Linux dev. in the past, but I am coming across lots of things I have never had to do - Device Tree overlays, recompiling the kernel, etc...

I am trying to get the code for the BeBoPr Cape compiled and running, but in fact, I'm stuck, and frustrated, so I am reaching
out to you for some help.
I see instructions on Bas Laarhoven's page on how to compile the code, but I'm not quite sure how to get the adc, pwm and gpio modules in there.
"Also the adc, pwm and gpio interfaces should be present in the /sys filesystem ..."

Hi Walter,

The information on the wiki pages is for the original BeagleBone (white) with 3.2
kernel mostly. As I've already told you by PM, things are very much in flux because
of the transition to BBB, kernel 3.8+ and DT stuff.

Making an instruction page for running with an (unmodified) 3.8 kernel is high on
my to-do list. But having just returned from my holidays, there's a pile of work to do.
Please have some patience here.

I compiled and obviously, there are complaints that the interfaces are missing. See instructions here:
Code Compilation · modmaker/BeBoPr Wiki · GitHub

Did compilation complain, or running the executable? What exactly are 'the' interfaces
that are missing? Does you kernel configure the mux setting from the EEPROM?

Lets start with the first step. Does the kernel recognize the cape properly.
Can you post the kernel boot log (dmesg output) on pastebin.com and send me the link?

My config is straight out of the box :
Linux beaglebone 3.2.34 #1 Wed Nov 21 14:17:11 CET 2012 armv7l GNU/Linux

Also, it seems the dtc package is not there and I need it. I can't even seem to locate that.

Why do you need it? Device-tree is not used with the 3.2 kernel, that's for 3.8 only.

Questions: Has anyone got this to work? If so, did you upgrade/change the kernel or change OS completely?

What did you do that might not be documented?

Any instructions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Walter

--- Bas