Need help with purchasing camera module for BeagleBoard-xM Rev.C

Hi all,
I have BeagleBoard-xM Rev.C and im planning to purchase a camera module for this board. There are camera modules from leopard imaging but im not sure whether they work with BeagleBoard-xM Rev.C…

Right now BeagleBoard is ported with Angstrom linux(kernel:- 2.6.32). i do not intend to change the kernel version.

Any camera module among VGA, 2-MegaPixel or 3-MegaPixel camera module is fine. but there should be drivers for the camera module in the kernel version:- 2.6.32, angstrom linux distribution… I want it to work out of the box for recording, snapshots etc. …

Please help me to choose the right camera module.

Thanking you,
Shravan Kulkarni

Hello,

We are working with the LI-5M03CS in Ubuntu 12.04.

When we started three weeks ago we tryed the last Angstrom Linux image, but unfortunately for that time the camera driver was not included. After that we tryed Ubuntu 12.04, but though the camera driver was included at that time (fortunatele it now does), it didn’t work, so we decided to get in contact with Robert C. Nelson. Fortunately, he kindly agreed to support the camera module for everyone who needed to use it in Ubuntu. Thanks Robert!!!

Now I’m going to tell the steps to get the camera module up and running:

First you need to netinstall Ubuntu in a microsd card following the instructions here:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Method_2:_Use_the_NetInstall_method

Here you have an exaple to install the arm hardfloat version of Ubuntu 12.04 in /dev/sdX (please calmy read the intructions abobe to understand the installation process):

<b>git clone git://github.com/RobertCNelson/netinstall.git
cd netinstall</b>
**sudo ./mk_mmc.sh --mmc /dev/sdX --uboot beagle_xm --distro precise-armhf**

Next you have to get and build the kernel:
http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Building_Kernel

Here you have an example to build the kernel:

git clone git://github.com/RobertCNelson/stable-kernel.git v3.2
cd v3.2
nano version.sh #change 'DEBARCH=armel' to 'DEBARCH=armhf'
cp system.sh.sample system.sh
nano system.sh #change '#CC=arm-linux-gnueabi-' to 'CC=arm-linux-gnueabihf-'
./build_deb.sh

The kernel is already configured so the only you have to do is to exit kernel configuration, and then wait the building proccess to end.
After the kernel compilation you will have two .deb packages in the ‘deploy’ folder (an example):
linux-image-3.2.foo.deb
linux-headers-3.2.foo.deb

Now take them into a folder in the beagleboard and install them there:
sudo dpkg -i linux-*.deb

Now you have to copy initrd.img and vmlinuz in the boot partition:
sudo cp /boot/initrd-3.2.foo.img /boot/uboot/initrd.img
sudo cp /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.foo /boot/uboot/zImage

Next you have to change uEnv.txt to allow the kernel to detect the camera:
sudo nano /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt

add ‘camera=lbcm5m1’

change ‘mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} …’ to ‘mmcargs=setenv bootargs console=${console} camera=${camera} …’

Now you have to build and install yavta and media-ctl:
cd /boot/uboot/tools/
sudo ./update.sh
sudo pkgs/aptina-media-ctl-n-yavta.sh

At last you can adapt the script /boot/uboot/tools/pkgs/aptina-test-capture.sh to take shots the size you want.

PS. I wish to give especial thaks to Robert C. Nelson for his kind support efforts without whom we couldn’t use the LI-5M03 camera modules for BeagleBoard xM in a such aproachable way.

Regards,

Hi!

great tutorial! Are you able to capture video by this camera?

2012/10/8 mrne <damosvil@gmail.com>

At the current moment we can only take shots with the commands in the script:
/boot/uboot/tools/pkgs/aptina-test-capture.sh

The script takes shot at 1024x768 changing the resolution in the script to 2592x1944 you can take true 5 Mpx shots.