Need to power beaglebone and bunch of 12v LED with one power source

Im working on a project that has 10 x 0.4w LED lights at 12v. They are controlled by BeagleBone.

I am trying to find a way to use one power supply to power LED lights and BeagleBone. Space is limited.

I picked up a power supply that has

5v ~ 2.2A
12v ~ 2.2A

I can read 5.03v from it but it will not power up the bone. My other power supply with 5.13v works fine.

Is this 0.1v difference the problem?! really?

Does anyone have a better suggestion? It would be great to use a 12v power supply and lower the voltage to something beaglebone can use.
Thx

Make sure the supply is well grounded at the output. Otherwise the overvolatge circuit may not work properly and shutdown.

Gerald

“Make sure the supply is well grounded at the output. Otherwise the overvolatge circuit may not work properly and shutdown.”

sorry I dont follow… I am connecting the 12v /5v power supply just the same way I am connecting the 5v (that works)…

how can I ground it “at the output” ?

Earth ground. Does the supply have two prongs or three? Is earth ground connected to the ground wire output of the 5V rail or is it isolated? You could also attach a ground wire from the BeagleBone to earth ground.

Gerald

Both power supplies (working and none working one) have two prongs.

OK. So, no earth ground, unless the neutral is grounded inside the box in the wall. Can you get a two prong to three prong adapter?

Gerald