New BeagleBone cape with GPS and GPRS capabilities

New BeagleBone cape with GPS and GPRS is available and can be used to integrate in projects to add GPS positioning and communications capabilities to the BeagleBone.

It is fully compatible with BeagleBone Black.

BeagleBone GPS/GPRS Cape Page

BeagleBone GPS/GPRS Cape on circuitco website

Be one of the first to receive this board and help this project to evolve by sharing your needs.

Duarte Carona

Looks nice, but the pricing (€130) and lack of schematics is making it hard for me to specify it for a trial of 20 units I’m building.
If it were cheaper, I could just buy 20 units.
If it had schematics or PCB files available, I could buy one for evaluation and make my own for production.

Any chance to make either of those possible?

Dear Heffer,

I understand your comments about the price, but keep in mind that this is the first version of this board, developed for the purpose of providing GPS/GPRS capabilities to the BeagleBone for a specific project.

Our intention was to launch this out to the community and at this first stage be used as a development board. Our first production round is currently selling and we are getting feedback from users and prospective clients to match their needs as close as possible.

About the price, as you must know quantity is a big variable and we are just starting out.

However, what price point would you consider acceptable for your application scenario?

If you would like to order one and try it for yourself, we would be happy to have your feedback so we can improve this product.

I can assure you this is an ongoing project and there will be future versions of this board.

Thanks, I totally appreciate where you are coming from.
Here’s how it is from a potential customer’s perspective:
We’re looking at the Beaglebone, rather than the Raspberry Pi, because we have an embedded application with 20-100 units. If it were just a single item, we would probably be tempted to use a Pi, because there are already a few GSM/GPS boards out there and a bigger community. It’s worth doing a little more work to put it into the Beaglebone because we’re going to make a few of them, so we value the embedded flash, additional IO and commercial availability of the processor.

I think you’re going to find a few customers in this same situation: the “in-between” numbers where it’s worth a little extra work to use a Beaglebone, but we don’t have enough volume to spend time making up our own PCB. Customers in this situation are going to want to buy a single board for evaluation, and if that works out well they’ll buy 20-100 more boards for prototypes, then maybe look at making their own PCB. Before they buy the first board, they’re going to want to see a development path -
1 item: “is good example code available for our first unit?”
20-100 items: “can I get a good price break for 50 units?”
own PCB: “are schematics available for our implementation?”

At the moment you look to be doing a good job of the first step, but the development path from there is unclear. Perhaps you guys have a strategy for prototypes and production?