new owner/user. I have a couple of questions

Hello, new owner/user.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you have to install a OS to use the Beagle bone or can you use it like an
    Arduino?

2. Is there a assembler for the beagle bone?

3. If yes, what is its name, where is the download?

4. If yes to #2, is it possible to run the beagle bone on a 100% assembly
    language program, store it in flash, on hw init copy it to ram, execute?

Thank You

1 Like

Hello…I am of no help but I would like to comment here.

1. Baremetal BBBs are a thing for some.
  2. There are assemblers for different cores.
  3. assembly or C/C++
  4. Sure…you can run an assembly program on your multifaceted cores on the BBB in baremetal or with a small OS/server.

Now…I know nothing of Baremetal on the BBB. I just wanted to let you know it is possible.

Seth

P.S. GCC or for the PRU clpru or pasm.

Hi, welcome!

1. Usually you’ll install an LINUX OS for the main CPU (ARM). But additionally there’re two real-time CPUs named PRU (Programable Realtime Unit) which run barebone (32 bit, 32 registers, up to 2000 steps each, full hardware access).

2. There’re at least two PRU assemblers. I use PASM, which is not supported by the manufacturer. No TI support means no Schnick-Schnack (= fully featured for hard real-time requirements).

3. PASM is included in the am335x_pru_package.

4. It’s possible, but makes no sense. Run the BB ARM CPU on a LINUX OS that auto-loads firmware to the IRam on one or both PRUSS at start-up. Then let the ARM support your assembler firmware running bare bone on PRUSS (ie network IO, GUI, HD access, …).

Regards

Hi,
You just login trough USB (192.168.7.2 or 192.168.7.3, look it up) or Ethernet (if connected to a box, it will assign an IP to the BBB eg 192.168.1.5).

Then you’re on a terminal, and you can install run assembler and compilers.

If you want write code on a main computer, then you upload with filezilla via ssh and the same login (usually debian / temppwd).

Linux is installed by defaul, just run power up and login, you’re in and cad install software via “sudo apt-get install xyz” and run them.

Jean-François