(newbie)Help with Beagleboard C5. (porting RTK(GPS software to BB)

Hi guys,

i am new to embedded programming and have been trying to port a software(RTKLIB) from http://gpspp.sakura.ne.jp/rtklib/rtklib_beagleboard.htm by following the instructions into beagleBoard. i am literally stuck at this:

(2) Download prebuilt Linux kernel and install it to the fat32 partition of SD card
Get stable version: 2.6.29-oer34
$ wget http://www.rcn-ee.com/deb/kernel/beagle/lenny/v2.6.29-58cf2f1-oer34/uImage
$ copy uImage /media/disk-1
$ sudo umount /media/disk-1

which gives me uImage not found from the following website. Is there any other prebuilt linux kernal i can use? I would like to learn more about linux embedded systems and would appreciate if someone could direct me to any good resources/materials. Help is much appreciated.

Ram

Wow, that's one set of old directions... Don't waste any time with 2.6.29...

95% of those directions can be replaced by just using the demo image here:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Demo_Image

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info. All i shld be doing is follow method one to get the demo image but this is the error im getting when installing git as my ubuntu says connection failed [IP: 91.189.92.151.80] and the error message says unable to fetch some archives, mayb run apt-get update… ive been trying to install git packages but it keeps giving me this error. Is this cos im using my Uni’s wifi/server or…

Regards,

Raj

hi Robert,

after builting "./buid_kernel.sh, shld i copy this to my sd card or what is the next step, this is relatively my first time working with linux commands and i feel like a lost child. Please help!

I'd try "sudo apt-get update"/"sudo apt-get clean" but it sounds like
you need to talk to your university's IT as they maybe blocking you or
something..

btw, git-core is installed by default, so you should be able to easily
"git clone something"

Regards,

Well, if you ran that script, yes the next step would be to copy the
zimage and modules to your sd if you'd like to boo that new image on
the Beagle. There is a script in that git repo
"./tools/install_image.sh" that makes that task too easy.. Just make
sure to properly define MMC in system.sh..

Regards,

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your patience.I've followed method one, and my board doesn't seem to boot up the image. Do I need a MLO and boot loader files in my SD card before I follow method one since I started with a new SD card? What is zimage and what modules do I need to copy to the sd card or simply put what files should go into the Sd card to boot the beagle besides the pre configured image.

Regards,
Raj

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your patience.I've followed method one, and my board doesn't seem to boot up the image. Do I need a MLO and boot loader files in my SD card before I follow method one since I started with a new SD card?

Probably, post your serial boot log..

What is zimage and what modules do I need to copy to the sd card or simply put what files should go into the Sd card to boot the beagle besides the pre configured image.

There under the 'deploy' directory..

zImage goes to the "boot" partition, the modules get untarred to the
"rootfs" partition..

Regards,

Hi Robert,

This is the screen shot of my SD card from my PC and the 2 partitions.Not sure if i am on the right track but i am going to try to boot the beagleboard. How would i be able to port a software library inside the BeagleBoard now and get it running like a ‘host’ to receive GPS signals. Would i need any form of C/C++ script or AP Program to run the software library(RTKLIB).

SD card partiion.odt (385 KB)