Newbie to everything

New to everything beagleboard/bone, I work as an access control tech and I'm familiar with low voltages, serial, usb,and different types of communication, but I'm in over my head in Linux and coding/programming. I haven't even figured out how to load an OS on my XM, not looking to take up anyone's time but if someone could point me in the direction of a true newbie spot to start I would certainly appreciate it.

No personal experience with the XM myself, but I’ve been using the beaglebone black for well over two years now. I can say that there is a lot of information on the web. Pick a subject, and just start googling.

If you would really a more academic approach, Get a beaglebone black, and this book http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-BeagleBone-Techniques-Building-Embedded/dp/1118935128.

So, I do realize that the Beaglebone black is dissimilar to the Beagleboard XM. However, I think you’ll find a lot of old information on the internet concerning the board. Or do you have an specific need for the XM ?