Newcomer problem: No Ubuntu boot on BeagleBone

Thanks for the quick reply!

I’m just powering it via USB, but that wasn’t a problem a week or two ago when I was able to successfully get Ubuntu running. I tried the precise (12.04) image as well, but same result – the boot process hangs in the same place.

Are you sure? Ubuntu hits the mmc card pretty hard on bootup...
Please retry with a 5V DC adapter..

Regards,

Thanks. I will give it a try. I'm away from my apartment this weekend though so the only power adapter I have on hand is 5.1V 2A. Will that be okay or will it overload the board?

A 5.2 volt adapter did NOT work for me so I'd not be surprised if 5.1 is
too much too. You can try it - the voltage isn't too high to cause
damage. Mine simply would not boot or even attempt to boot.

I finally dug out a 9 volt wart and put an LM7805 in the line to give me
5.0 volts at the plug.

John

I was able to power the board with 5.0V through the barrel jack. No luck – identical results.

(I actually didn’t have a proper wall adapter, so I powered the board with a 3-cell, 11.1V, 2200mAh battery, regulated by a programmable 10A-peak BEC. The board ran fine powered this way using the Angstrom image.)

Any other ideas?

Nope, that usually fixes the problem..

So.. Please pastebin.com your FULL serial boot log and I'll take a look at it..

Regards,

Done. The log is here: http://pastebin.com/BUrqmvhR

Thanks!

[ 1.592285] Maximum current provided by the USB port is 500mA which
is not sufficient
[ 1.592315] when operating @OPP120 and OPPTURBO. The current
requirement for some
[ 1.592315] use-cases using OPP100 might also exceed the maximum
current that the
[ 1.592315] USB port can provide. Unless you are fully confident
that the current
[ 1.592346] requirements for OPP100 use-case don't exceed the USB
limits, switching
[ 1.592346] to AC power is recommended.

So... Your "powering" via the 5Volt DC jack? Doesn't look like it..

Regards,

Yes. I unplugged the USB port to confirm that the board did not shut down (LEDs remained lit). But to get the serial log, I had to plug the USB back in, “screen-in” and reboot by pressing the reset button. Is there a better way to do this?

I usually just plug the 5volt barrel in, connect the usb, fire up
gtkterm, then hit the reset button, so the boot starts over..

btw, who doesn't have a spare ac/dc adapter, i have boxes full..

Essentially, powering over usb will not work with that image.. that's
the main point..

Regards,

I tried again. I did a ctl-F but couldn’t find the USB power line you referenced in this log, so maybe I didn’t have something plugged in all the way before. Same result – boot hangs in the same place.

New log is here: http://pastebin.com/cTxAp8pe

Yeah that looks like it's powered via the dc jack..

This is the problem:
[ 240.641448] INFO: task init:1 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
[ 240.647735] "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs"
disables this message.
[ 240.655944] init D c04e15ec 0 1 0 0x00000001
[ 240.662597] Backtrace:
[ 240.665222] [<c04e1200>] (__schedule+0x0/0x43c) from [<c04e1758>]
(schedule+0x78/0x7c)

do you have another microSD card? I could never re-produce that
reliably with my A2,A3,A4 & A6 boards... Basicly the init script is
blocked, waiting for something..

Regards,

Yes I do. I have two cards: a 4GB card with the Angstrom image, and a 16GB card with your Ubuntu image. I tried putting the Ubuntu image on the 4GB card earlier in the week, but I was only powering via USB back then.

Give me some time to backup my Angstrom image, create the Ubuntu image on the 4GB card, and try again with the board powered via the barrel jack. I will let you know the outcome once I have that done.

Also, I’m sorry that I do not have an AC/DC adapter. I have many on hand, but none that will supply >=2A at 5V. The lab I am working from on my campus is geared for building R/C aircraft, so I have a lot more battery powering options at my fingertips. If you still think power is the issue, I can run out and purchase a suitable adapter – but I am pretty confident that my setup is delivering regulated 5V DC power.

Thanks.

I solved my own problem. I needed to build the image with –uboot bone_dtb = v3.8-rc7-bone4 instead of -uboot bone . The board booted under USB power alone with no issues.

Thanks for your help. I apologize that I didn’t think to try this earlier. I assumed that the -uboot bone build would be more reliable than the kernel version still in testing.

There are a few problems with that v3.8.x based kernel.. Hence why i
made both options available, but it is the future..

Regards,