Hi guys,

I'm going verification of my new C4 BB, I can see it booting on RS232
port. But I do not see orange screen on monitor as described on
manual.

As soon as I power on the board, standby LED on monitor just turns off
which is kind of unusual.

Please help...

Thanks

It is possible that the defauilt resolution as defined in the bootscr file has settings that are not compatible with your display. I would check those settings and then modify them to match your display.

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Since I'm newbie, can you please point me to the right place to learn
how & where to make these changes?

BTW, I'm using ASUS 19inch Wide 1440x900 monitor which is hooked up by
HDMI-to-DVI cable.

Thanks again

Make sure the monitor is set to the digital input. DVI can be analog or digital on the same cable on som emonitors. I think the board should work on your display.

As to making changes in the boot.scr file, that is not an easy task for a newbie, dependng on wher eht enewbieness is located. I would suggest that you do a search on the discussion group and also google for the process to make a boot script. You will need a Linux based machine to change the script.

Gerald

What is the model number of your display?

Gerald

Display is all digital, since its DVI-D display. Model no. is ASUS
VH198T

Do you think there is any chance of board being faulty? Because
monitor works fine when connected elsewhere!

It is possible that you may have blown it out. There is a section in the System Reference Manual that tells you how to plug it in and what order to plug it in. If the grounds are not common between the monitor, PC, and the board, you can damage the interface. However, just because it is not currently working, that does not mean it is a bad board. You can also try another monitor if you have one handy.

One other item, if you are just booting the board from NAND, all you will get is an orange screen and it sill stop at the UBoot prompt. Nothing else. will happen at that point. There is no kernel in the Flash.

You should be using an SD card to boot from. Are you doing that? That is where the boot.scr file is located which sets the resolution and refesh rate of the display… Here is where the files are located that go onto the SD card.

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleboardRevC3Validation

Gerald

Hi Gerald,

Thanks. I'm now try to boot from SD card. This is how it starts:

3194800 bytes read
***** Kernel: /dev/mmcblk0p1/uImage.bin *****
reading ramdisk.gz

7999649 bytes read
***** RootFS: /dev/mmcblk0p1/ramdisk.gz *****
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 80200000 ...
   Image Name: Angstrom/2.6.32/beagleboard
   Image Type: ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size: 3194736 Bytes = 3 MB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point: 80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
   Loading Kernel Image ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux...........

:
:
blah blah
:
:
37.675628] Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt

This is point where Windows 7 starts installing USB drivers and fails,
and except PWR LED all other turns off.

Please help me...

So, then you are powering the board via the OTG port. I have no experience on Windows 7, so I cannot help there… But, depending on what you are trying to do, you may not need the OTG port to the PC. The BB is designed as a standalone PC and does not need a host to operate. You can take a powered USB hub, connect it to the USB host port, connect a keyboard and mouse to the HUB and now you have a PC. I would try this configuration. It would also be good to power the board form a standalone power source instead of the OTG port to give you more flexibility to add things to the board.

The reason the power LED turns off is because the PC cannot deliver the required current to the board, hence the suggestion for the DC powered configuration. Try to fix your HW setup to get a stable platform and then the Kernel panic can be looked at. That could be several different things that occur during the “blah blah” phase of the booting process.

Gerald