node.js upgrade for beaglebone

I went to do something with serial comms using node.js on my new BeagleBone and hit the problem that the serialport node module needs node.js > 0.6 and the bone was distributed with 0.4.12

I also found other modules (eg xml2js) that did not install, although the reasons why are less clear.

I’m wondering how best to install the latest node.js and set of modules.

Are there any prebuilt installs for things like node.js on the Angstrom distro? If not I guess I need to build on the BB. For this I’ll certainly need a much bigger microSD card and I’ll need to write the supplied (or a more recent) disk image onto it.

Can anyone suggest the best course of action please?

Thx. Paul

I went to do something with serial comms using node.js on my new BeagleBone and hit the problem that the serialport node module needs node.js > 0.6 and the bone was distributed with 0.4.12

the april and may images have both 0.4.x and 0.6.x preinstalled

Many thx Koen.
I must have an old distribution. It’s Angstrom v2012.01-core - Kernel 3.2.5+
I guess there is a site where I can download the latest and make a new uSD card?
Any suggestions welcome.
Regards, Paul

Many thx Koen.
I must have an old distribution. It's Angstrom v2012.01-core - Kernel 3.2.5+
I guess there is a site where I can download the latest and make a new uSD card?

Ångström Distribution - BeagleBoard is one

Thx Koen,

Not sure how well this will work on a Mac but I’ll try. (No clean linux installation is available here at the moment.)
Downloaded the image which seems to need 3.65 Gb - ordering a uSD now, better make it somewhat larger than that.
Instructions say:
NOTE: Use external 5V supply and remove all USB connections from the Beagleboard when booting for the first time. Try USB later once you know it works.

This seems odd because I connect to the device with USB to see the console.

Paul

A beagle*board* is not the same as a beagle*bone* :slight_smile: