OSX + Baeglebone = Nightmare

I have wasted a whole weekend trying got connect to my BBB.

I am running 10.10 and have trawled the internet reading pages upon pages of cryptic mumbo jumbo, I have uninstalled rivers, updated drivers, replaced drivers, edited pLists, reset Pram, reset SMC, I have done EVERYTHING. I am sick of it at this stage. I have a €100 Windows 7 netbook that connects with no problem to the Beaglebone.

For the past 9 months of=r so I have used an Arduino Mega with no connection issues, so why oh why is it so difficult to get this POS board to work? Laziness perhaps?

Basically Beaglebone need to get their finger out and fix the driver issues with OS X.

OR STOP SELLING THIS BOARD to OS X users. It just doesn’t work.

My weekend has been a complete waste.

I'm Sorry, you sound frustrated.. Well, I'm still working on my time machine...

OS X 10.10: was released: October 16, 2014

The shipping image on the BBB Rev C was created: May 14, 2014

Jason updated the drivers for 10.10: Jan 18, 2015

https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-getting-started/commits/master

Did you try, the latest "snapshot"?

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2015-01-27

???

Regards,

Jason,

I just noticed, HoRNDIS-rel7.pkg is now out..

http://joshuawise.com/horndis

The latest version available is release 7: HoRNDIS-rel7.pkg (116491
bytes) (md5sum45a1a7457966b1dc79897af2864f68e4; GPG signature). Adds
support for OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). Fixes issue where unsigned kext
would not be installed (restoring support for OS X 10.6 - 10.8).
Thanks also to David Ryskalczykfor his help in tracking down the
issues with 10.10.

Looks like rel6 was a little buggy on 10.10, and we only have rel6 in
the repo right now:

https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-getting-started/tree/master/Drivers/MacOSX

Regards,

Seriously, this is a mess. I just tried those drivers AGAIN, the result AGAIN is nada, nothing, a waste of my time and energy.

Beaglebone is a disaster on OS X. “It just works” do the developers remember that phase?

I bought 5 of these boards for my team, and lots of extra adafruit add on’s (GPS, accelerometers = €€€). Everything is sitting various benches now not being used. My devs are pissed off, I am pissed off. Beagle bone was a fantasy, I think we are going to go to the Rpi, it mounted straight away, no hassle.

I am sick of the “have you tried” or “I reset the” routine. Seriously, what a waste of time. This is definetly not plug and play, and NOT user friendly.

I am not an amateur, neither are the rest of the team, but none of use could get this POS to work. It has been a very expensive joke.

Seriously, this is a mess. I just tried those drivers AGAIN, the result
AGAIN is nada, nothing, a waste of my time and energy.

Beaglebone is a disaster on OS X. "It just works" do the developers remember
that phase?

I bought 5 of these boards for my team, and lots of extra adafruit add on's
(GPS, accelerometers = €€€). Everything is sitting various benches now not
being used. My devs are pissed off, I am pissed off. Beagle bone was a
fantasy, I think we are going to go to the Rpi, it mounted straight away, no
hassle.

I am sick of the "have you tried" or "I reset the" routine. Seriously, what
a waste of time. This is definetly not plug and play, and NOT user friendly.

Well, to be fair... I'm not "there" looking over your shoulder. So
besides "have you tried" what should i ask you?

I am not an amateur, neither are the rest of the team, but none of use could
get this POS to work. It has been a very expensive joke.

btw, go read some of the history on this forum. We didn't support
"windows 7" out of the box either, it took awhile to get a signed
driver for 64bit.

Regards,

By the way, I bought 5 of these boards, none of them work.

It said on the box they were OS X compatible, this was obviously a false statement. What is anyone to think if they are sold something that does not do as promised, and has various “try this” solutions that don’t work.

Amateur hour.

They work on my OS X 10.9.5 system

Regards,

Well what are we doing wrong?

You need to just chill out and take a deep breath its no ones fault you “wasted” time but your own. Just cause the Rpi does X out of the box does not make the BBB a “POS” means PEBKAC 99.9% of the time. How is anyone ever supposed to help you if you hate being asked have you tried this or that, no one can read your mind or guess WTF you even have attempted? Its not like you really laid out what you tried and have not tried. Shit happens accept it and find a solution or move on thats open source, no one but yourself is to blame if YOU wasted YOUR companies money. Like Robert I have no issues on my OSX 10.9 box though I rarely ever use it cause I just hate apple products. If you are experienced as you say then stop the ranting and ask a real question where you lay out what you tried and all the info you think is relevant so others can actually try and help, frustration or not dont take it out on people who make no money off helping YOU with YOUR problem. This attitude is going to get you no where and shocked Robert has entertained your emails this long. No one is under obligation to figure out YOUR problems but they just might if you actually were not on a tyrannical rant. If you hate these so much return all the “POS crap” you bought and go have fun with that pi, then realize all the BS hype that surrounds that platform.

Well, apple pushed out OS X 10.10, and the 3rd party driver writers
still need to catch up.

We use kernel.org's g_multi driver as a cdc ether/serial and usb flash
drive combination when users plug in the usb-slave port.

On Linux this pretty much works out of the box.

On Windows, it works if you install the signed driver*. Luckily the
usb-flash drive just works without drivers which allows us to easily
give users the dirvers. Linux developers provide the *.inf:
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/usb/linux.inf
The rest is built-in to windows...

On Mac, we have nothing, but the work of Joshua Wise's "horndis" driver:
http://joshuawise.com/horndis

It looks like we have more testing/bug reporting we need to forward Joshua..

Regards,

I should add, ignoring the usb-net rndis interface. (which seems to be
failing for your right now in 10.10)

There is also a cdc-serial connection on the usb-slave port enabled:

Using screen it's usually:

screen /dev/tty.usbmodemfd113 115200

Oh however it's setup at plug-in time...

Then you should see something like:

[Debian GNU/Linux 7 beaglebone ttyGS0

BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2015-01-19

Support/FAQ: http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian

default username:password is [debian:temppwd]

The IP Address for usb0 is: 192.168.7.2
beaglebone login:]

Or using the ethernet port, "ssh debian@beaglebone.local"

Or using the raw serial port, this needs an ftdi cable, I use this 98%
of the time, but not everyone has the cable..

and "hdmi"..

Out of the box, we pretty much enabled every login possibility to make it easy..

Regards,

Good God is that it?

Seriously, you guys are selling an 'OSX compatible" product?

What % users are OSX? What profit margin have you made there? Sell product, does’t work, no support = 100% user profit. Host forum, post “try this” solutions, stay calm.

I give up.

Beaglebone is a joke until these drivers are sorted.

What profit margin have you made there?

Mate, you clearly don't realise there's NO profit at all involved.

You're the one on bleeding edge, complaining that stuff that was
released and compatible BEFORE your current release isn't compatible
with a later release.

Clearly, reading docs is hard. You're the joke you're looking for.

Pete.

hmm I should have tried to screen the /dev/ port, but I didnt. Actually most of the time when I connected the BBB to my MacBook Pro late 2013 running 10.10.2, it would cause my macbook to reboot. Luckily I got the bbb with LCD screen up and running ssh’ing with my windows laptop, got it connected to the wifi, and now I can ssh into it from my macbook through its LAN IP

Good God is that it?

Seriously, you guys are selling an 'OSX compatible" product?

What % users are OSX? What profit margin have you made there? Sell product, does’t work, no support = 100% user profit. Host forum, post “try this” solutions, stay calm.

I give up.

Any serious developer would not have updated to 10.10 for at least a year to ensure that all third party drivers are functional. It is your fault for updating to Yosemite and that is why you are wasting your time; nothing to do with BBB. In any case, we are all volunteers and donate our time to help others. We don’t get paid, so stop demanding that we get something fixed. If you listen to Robert’s advice, he will help you get up and running, but with your attitude, I don’t know why he bothers. The guy is a saint.

Regards,
John

You just could use the cdc ethernet driver on the bbb as this seems to
be supported by the hooked fruit.

Maybe it's possible to identify these fruits or the windows by their
vendor-id of the usb. If so, one could just write an udev-rule for the
bbb which eiter loads the cdc-driver (for linux and/or fruit remotes) or
the rndis-driver for windows remotes.

Regards,

Alexander Holler

Windows 7 works with the Beaglebone, OSX 10.9 works, OSX 10.8 works, Linux x86 works. If OSX 10.10 does not work the blame is on the Beaglebone side?

As you have only "trawled the internet" for a weekend reading "mumbo jumbo", for a weekend, it seems to me that you need to spend lots of time reading more stuff.
Count on at least a month. until the mumbo jumbo starts making sense.

Yes, the Beaglebone IS NOT an Arduino!
The Arduino Mega has only a serial over USB connection, and is a 16 Mhz, 8 bit processor without any Operating system.
The Beaglebone is a 32 bit full grown computer, with network, HDMI, memory management and protection, LInux, and it is a very, very different machine.

Yes, the prices are very similar, but the value is very different.

Some people only look at "price", other can look at the value and the support and the knowledge that the guys behind the Beaglebone offer.

Hope someday you can do the latter.

I know its not an Arduino, thats why we picked BBB, the specs are outstanding. Almost a year of Mega under our belts and we have pushed it to its limit. I also appreciate the effort everyone puts in. We are going to open source a serious amount of server motor OpenCAN code for the Arduino once all of the bugs are wiped out, we would hope to do the same for BBB.

The OS X machines we are using came with 10.10 out of the box, we added new machines just before Christmas, these are what we are working on. Frustration is caused due to the inconsistent instructions found everywhere.

If its a case of pulling a kext from a 10.9 machine to get the usb working we will look into that today and post results. It wouldn’t be the first time and won’t be the last that Apple in all their wisdom break stuff.

Maybe it’s possible to identify these fruits or the windows by their vendor-id of the usb. If so, one could just write an udev-rule for the bbb which eiter loads the cdc-driver (for linux and/or fruit remotes) or the rndis-driver for windows remotes.

Nothing shows up on the USB bus, so prime suspect would be an updated kext, I will be able to compare the version number from 10.10 & 10.9 later today.

With 10.10, Apple requires "signed" kext's.. So depending on the 10.9
kext, you might have to enable "kext-dev-mode=1" in your apple
bootargs.

Regards,

Nothing shows up on the USB bus, so prime suspect would be an updated kext,
I will be able to compare the version number from 10.10 & 10.9 later today.

With 10.10, Apple requires "signed" kext's.. So depending on the 10.9
kext, you might have to enable "kext-dev-mode=1" in your apple
bootargs.

Is that kext necessary for the cdc-driver (or usb-storage) too? I've read the cdc-driver is part of the system, so it should be already signed.

Regards,

Alexander Holler