OT: debugging PC-board serial port comm.

Hi,

Marked OT because this is not specific to BB, but any other device. Is there a way to “snoop” on the USB communication between PC and a USB device (could be BB or another device). Here in I have a device, which I think uses the USB-Serial bridge device, and the Virtual Serial-Port mechanism of communication from WindowsXP based application to the device. The application interacts with the device considering it to be a serial port. Would like to reverse engineer the communication and create a similar app in Linux. I’d like to do this task on PC first (if possible) and then check feasibility of doing same on BB (future).

Pointers appreciated.

Jay

HHD free serial port monitor for windows

Jayanth Acharya wrote:

Hi,

Marked OT because this is not specific to BB, but any other device. Is there a way to "snoop" on the USB communication
between PC and a USB device (could be BB or another device). Here in I have a device, which I think uses the USB-Serial
bridge device, and the Virtual Serial-Port mechanism of communication from WindowsXP based application to the device.
The application interacts with the device considering it to be a serial port. Would like to reverse engineer the
communication and create a similar app in Linux. I'd like to do this task on PC first (if possible) and then check
feasibility of doing same on BB (future).

Pointers appreciated.

http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+usb+monitor

Thanks. I realized that I should have framed my question better.
In fact, had done a search like that, but the tools which did come up were providing rather detailed USB protocol level information, but didn’t give me serial comm data, so I had to look through too much of USB enumeration / handshake data etc. I think, I should’ve been clearer by asking – “how to sniff serial comm data” where it is serial communication is over virtual serial-link (i.e. emulated over USB, if I understood the concept correctly). I found some tools like that, but they are all for physical serial port & mostly need dongles.

Since the device in question (with the USB-serial bridge) has virtual serial-port drivers for Linux, I am hoping that I can skip working at USB level, to keep things simple.