OTG problem

Dear BBD,

I am new to beagle and I have a new beagle rev C3 board and I am having a bit of trouble getting the OTG port in to host mode.

Since I can’t get a mini-A cable I am using a mini-B cable and I have connected pins 4 and 5 in the USB socket together.

The port looks complete dead - if I plug anything into it, with or without a hub connected I get nothing, no action on any of the devices and no log messages (and I was using a self powered hub).

I tried forcing the mode as suggested here:

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardFAQ#USB_OTG_connection_.231

BUT the file /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode doesn’t seem to exist.

I don’t really know what I am doing or what diagnostics I should be using so any advice gratefully received!

(ps I have tried everything via the other port and it all seems fine but I could really do with both ports up and working.)

I’m using Linux beagleboard 2.6.29-omap1 #1 Wed May 27 18:45:15 CEST 2009 armv7l GNU/Linux

Cheers,

SA

PS can someone suggest the kindest way to add software under angstrom? does it have a package manager etc? or am I just building from source?

PPS I wanted to use a framebuffer (no X) for the DVI output, something simple like SDL would be good what would be the most sensible approach (SDL? if so how do I set up the framebuffer please?)

I know that you must have everything already plugged into the OTG port and powered up prior to booting the Kernel. You can also try the steps in the validation page to make sure that everything is functioning from a HW perspective.

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleboardRevCValidation

Gerald

I know that you must have everything already plugged into the OTG port and powered up prior to booting the Kernel. You can also try the steps in the validation page to make sure that everything is functioning from a HW perspective.

http://code.google.com/p/beagleboard/wiki/BeagleboardRevCValidation

Thanks for the suggestion - I just tried this but it made no difference. As I understand things the OTG port needs to be flagged
as host at boot or forced later, all I think it needs is the pins 4+5 tied together (normally a mini-A cable in the socket) (however,
I have no proof of this because I can’t get mine working!).

Cheers,

SA

On REV C3 there are a couple of shorting pads on the back of the board. I suggest you short those. Typically people that try to short the actual pins end up damaging the board. The pads are described in the System Reference Manual. Have you confirmed whether or not the port works in the client mode?

Gerald

On REV C3 there are a couple of shorting pads on the back of the board. I suggest you short those. Typically people that try to short the actual pins end up damaging the board. The pads are described in the System Reference Manual. Have you confirmed whether or not the port works in the client mode?

Gerald

SA,

Have you double-checked that your cable is OK? One way to do this is
to plug it into the BeagleBoard with the power off and then check for
opens and shorts with an ohmmeter. It's easier to access BeagleBoard
USB OTG connector pins than the cable itself.

Another thing to check is the voltage at Pin 1 of the BeagleBoard USB
OTG connector with the cable disconnected. In host mode, BeagleBoard
should drive this pin to +5V after Linux has determined that Pins 4+5
are shorted.

Hope this helps,
John