physical chess board using beagle board

I wish to create a physical chess board (without any moving parts) using beagle board. Basic idea is that my moves must me detected by the processor and indicate their moves using led placed below each square of the chess board. I wish to concentrate more on the hardware part which i assume can use reed switches to detect the coins in squares. Will programming a simple chess pgm using beagleboard be difficult?? Can i get this whole thing worked in around 3 months??

I wish to create a physical chess board (without any moving parts) using
beagle board. Basic idea is that my moves must me detected by the processor
and indicate their moves using led placed below each square of the chess
board. I wish to concentrate more on the hardware part which i assume can
use reed switches to detect the coins in squares.

Have you evaluated the Adruino for a simple project like this? On the
other hand, if you were to use a camera to detect chess piece position,
instead of reed sensors, the BB would be more suitable.

Will programming a simple chess pgm using beagleboard be difficult??

This really depends on your programming skill, language, and level of
requirement. If you were going to implement chess rule policy such as
valid move, capture move, and checkmate logic, it would be more difficult
or time consuming.

Can i get this whole thing worked in around 3 months??

Acceptable time for a experienced developer.

I wonder if you could chip the chess pieces with RFID and detect the moves that way. You’d have to multiplex the receiver between antennas wound beneath each square, but I think it would work. Should be able to port Gnu Chess to the BB if you wanted a computer opponent (it wasn’t clear from your post if that was your goal).

I am working a similar project , but the game is Checkers. I am using opencv+python to detect piece position. There is a robotic arm with solenoid that moves the pieces. Each piece has a coin below to work with the solenoid.

I am on starting the project and I guess BeagleBone Black is recommended for me. I have had some difficulties with opencv+python on Angstrom, but I will evaluate this later because I know this works fine on Ubuntu.