Pocket Beagle LXQT

Hi all,
I am new to Beagleboard, so please excuse my ignorance.
The pocket Beagle uses the Octavo OSD3358-SM, and as far as I have read there is no way to get a graphical desktop (or at least a shell). According to Octavo the OSD3358-SM has a integrated GPU, so my question would be why it’s not possible to render a desktop with the pocket Beagle?
Thank you in advance!

Due to the pins exported on the OSD3358-SM on the PocketBeagle PCB design, your display would be limited to SPI or I2C based devices. The pins for the OSD3358-SM LCD controller are not fully exported on this PCB layout.

Regards,

1 Like

Thanks for your answer!
You mentioned that the LCD pins are not fully exported, but can you even use LCD pins for a real screen? I always thought, that these pins are made for simple character LCDs?
Would it be possible to install Xorg and some windows manager and get a desktop on a SPI display? Or am I missing something?

The “terribly” named LCD Controller on the TI AM335x, can drive 2048x2048 panels up to 24bit color… It’s actually pretty nice for the size of the IP… On the BBB, we have an hdmi “framer” chip that converts the RGB interface to HDMI…

Any spi display with a real drm based driver, could use Xorg…

Regards,

1 Like

Ah, that explains why I didn’t found anything useful under the term “LCD pins”…
Since you mentioned drm drivers: How do I know if a display supports it? I would need a 1.7" to 2.0" round display which is very rare, I hope that most of the SPI displays have drm based drivers…
If a display doesn’t have such drivers, would it be still possible to use it with Xorg?

Regarding the “LCD pins”, do you know any other term how I could search for it? Are there many supported displays? And how about Xorg?

Thanks a lot for your time and help! I hope my questions are somewhat clear…
Best regards from Austria

Those would be these…

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/tiny

Regards,