Pocketbeagle not working

Hello,

I hope that I am not annoying you but I don’t know where else to turn. I recently purchased 3 pocket beagle bone boards for Christmas LED display projects that I am working on. One board has a short in it I think but the other two boards are working but I can not seem to access internet or ethernet on them. I have tried the Youtube tutorials and also online boards suggesting to share internet via my MacBook or Windows PC but whenever I turn on the sharing for the beagle bone the DCHP changes the IP address to a 169.x.x.x and I am not able to SSH into the board. I am a novice at Linux and programming. I purchased a EDUP wifi adapter and also a 4 port hub but I can’t seem to get them to work with the pocket beagle, it doesn’t recognize anything connected. Can you please offer me some assistance and tell me what exact click boards or adapters actually work with the pocket beagle and where I can purchase them if you know. I have ordered Mikroe click board wifi BLE from Mouser.com but I am not sure it will fit the pocketbeagle and no one is answering their phone or live chat to help me.

I have used raspberry pi boards in the past but won’t to try the pocket beagles because of the compact size but they seem to be extremely harder to use. I am using a MacBook Pro 2011 with OS Sierra 10.12 but I also tried with a Windows 10 PC and still could not get internet sharing to work.

I have kernel 4.14.108-ti-r113 installed on the SD card inserted in the pocket beagle; I can’t update the kernel or use sudo apt-get update because I have no wifi access on the pocket beagle.

You have to do a couple of different things on Windows:

1. Enable internet connection sharing in windows.
  2. Manually set the IP address of the USB ethernet adapter to 192.168.7.1 – yes, Windows changes the IP address to 169… which I think is a real pain
  3. ‘sudo route add default gw 192.168.7.1’ on the PocketBeagle (you should be able to SSH when you fix the IP address)
  4. ‘sudo echo “nameserver 8.8.8.8 >> /etc/resolv.conf”’ if you want to access the internet by name

Molloy’s book “Exploring Beaglebone” is quite helpful when it comes to stuff like this. You will find that these settings do not persist, so when you reboot you will have do them again unless you create a script that runs automatically.

Thanks so much for responding, do you know what the router IP I should use? (My network router IP or the IP of the pocket beagle?

I will get Molly’s book, thanks for the reference.

Thanks so much for responding, do you know what the router IP I should use? (My network router IP or the IP of the pocket beagle?

I will get Molly’s book, thanks for the reference.

Like it says in the previous post you have to set the default gateway of the pocketbeagle to 192.168.7.1. If you can't ssh into it I would recommend using a serial connection. You can do this through Putty by first finding the COM port that Windows assigns to the board in device manager, then in putty creating a serial connection through that port. Make sure to set the baud rate to 115200. That should get you into the board as a alternative to ssh.