Potential for another OMAP353x beagleboard-derived sbc

All,

I am considering spinning out a Beagleboard derived SBC to be released this summer. In the planning stages right now we're looking at something about the size of a business card with 0.1" header pins on the perimeter of the board. This would allow the unit to be utilized in a more standalone fashion than some of the other boards on the market (i.e. always just direct wire to the expansion headers). Additionally, it would make the unit much easier to prototype and design expansion boards with/for.

I would like to hear what capabilities above and beyond bb, that you would like to see on such a board. (We're already planning LCD, camera, and general address/data expansion lines)

Please reply back with your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,

Keith

All,

I am considering spinning out a Beagleboard derived SBC to be released
this summer. In the planning stages right now we’re looking at
something about the size of a business card with 0.1" header pins on the
perimeter of the board.

That’s smaller than the Beagle Board! A standard business card is 90x54mm which is about 7.53 square inches. The BB is 9 square inches. I’d be fine with a slightly larger format to accommodate extra features. A 3x4" (or larger still) board would really provide room for all the bells and whistles.

This would allow the unit to be utilized in a
more standalone fashion than some of the other boards on the market
(i.e. always just direct wire to the expansion headers). Additionally,
it would make the unit much easier to prototype and design expansion
boards with/for.

I would like to hear what capabilities above and beyond bb, that you
would like to see on such a board. (We’re already planning LCD, camera,
and general address/data expansion lines)

I’d like to request that the LCD output use the LVDS standard found on many embedded boards, instead of the raw signals coming directly from the CPU. This would allow for direct attachment to the vast majority of raw LCD panels without having to fashion an intermediate driver board.

The other peripheral I’d welcome is onboard ethernet. A proper USB-A wouldn’t be too shabby either.

-Glen

Just for the record, the Rev C board has a second USB Host port with a proper USB-A. The USB oport currently on Beagle uses the proper connetor for the OTG port which is what that port is.

Gerald

Keith,

IMO 2mm headers are nice as well... you get 25% more pins per inch
while still being easy to wire to.

I never understood why "Euro" connectors had 2.54mm spacing instead of
2mm.

John

It would be nice to have high speed serial busses available (McBSP
etc)
Is it possible to create a board with all the peripherals available on
expansion connectors?
And it would be very nice to have a line of boards with all the types
of processors, not only the top one...
Thanks!

Hi,

I would actually like to see some sort of BB without any features at
all. That will make it easier to embed it, without paying for the
stuff you don't need.
As an example you might want to look at the LPC boards that Embedded
Artists make.
http://embeddedartists.com/products/uclinux/oem_lpc2468_16.php

Regards,

Remco Poelstra

LogicPD, Cogent, and Gumstix do have boards that are similar to this, although they are much smaller. I suggest you check them out to see if they fit your needs. From a Beagle standpoint we will not be competing with such solutions.

Gerald