Problem on the BB-AI power-up phase

Hi,

I am trying to use the BeagleBone AI instead of the BeagleBone Black for a project which must be delivered in March. I have only one real problem. The only way to power up the BB-AI is to keep the power button down for 15 seconds ! (of course, ruling out unplugging and plugging the usb-C cable)

I need an external button to power up the machine, i can’t have the customer press the button 15 sec, this is just not possible. Is there anyway to fix this ? I have no idea where to toggle. I reported the problem in the chat #beagle but we couldn’t fix it.

my BB-AI data:

• /etc/dogtag : BeagleBoard.org Debian Buster IoT Image 2021-10-01
  • uname -a : Linux bb-ai-1 4.19.94-ti-r70 #1buster SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 24 16:57:36 UTC 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux
  • i am currently booting the system from the micro-sd.

I have another BB-AI in the office, still sealed, if you think my current machine is gone nut I will try to the other one.

Please let me know, i wish i could use the BB-AI for this project !

Thank you in advance
Nicola

Like I said on IRC, my BBAI does not exhibit this problem, but it’s running an older image. My first suggestion would be to check if the problem is resolving by downgrading to a 4.14-ti series kernel (or using an image that still uses that kernel series). If that makes a difference then there may be some kind of regression in the pmic kernel driver.

Long-pressing the power button forcibly powers the system off and resets most PMIC registers, so that’s what makes me think perhaps the newer kernel driver is misconfiguring something, but it’s just a hypothesis. I’ll see if I can test a 4.19-ti kernel on my BBAI later, if I don’t forget.

(BTW, may I suggest an improved title for your post: “BB-AI refuses to power back up after shutdown”. Don’t add “(important issue)”, that just sounds whiny. Everybody considers their own issue important.)

1 Like

Hello,

Just to add-in here:

1. cat /etc/dogtag: BeagleBoard.org Debian Buster IoT Image 2021-12-28
  2. uname -r: 4.19.94-ti-r70

The only issue that I cannot resolve right now is the Win 11 machine accepting/not accepting the info. of the board attachment.

For instance, on my BBAI, the board boots well, restarts well, and does things and fast!

But…when connecting the initial connection via USB-C from the BBAI to the Win 11 machine via USB 3.0, I get a pop up of the file system but when about 30 seconds transpire, I start to receive connection issues via pop up.

This pop up basically is telling me a lie and saying that my board (USB Device) is not detected. Odd? Yes, especially since it is attached and working along w/ the file system showing as a pop up on my host.

Seth

P.S. Anyway, if anyone cares, I will be working on this idea some more once I figure out what exactly could be the issue. Please see the odd photo in Win 11 world:

Port_Reset_Fail

First off, sorry for all the photos. I am not sure if people react well to them. Anyway, look at this instance and the other photo if you have time:

Recognizing_Win11

and:

BBAI_Recog

See, it is recognizing the device now, after I rebooted my Win 11 machine but I am still getting the error from the second photo, i.e. malfunction and not recognizing . Anyway, just a heads up for people thinking this hinders the machine. The BBAI still works well for me w/ my credentials of cat /etc/dogtag and uname -r .

Hi zmatt, thank you again for your support, very much appreciated !

Today I am going to do some experiments changing kernel and i will report here the results.

About the title, i would remove the “(important issue)” but i am not finding the way, i will not write it next time. In any case, this is a really important matter, i would say fundamental, if anybody wants to sell a product based on the BB-AI. How can i say to the customer that to boot the machine he needs to press power button and wait 15 seconds and then release it, or unplug the power cord, i would make a very bad impression; if they don’t just laugh to my face :wink:

I’ve edited the topic for you.

And nobody is contesting that you’re experiencing a serious problem, but it’s not one that applies to the BBAI in general under all circumstances, since I cannot reproduce the problem so far. I’ve just tested kernel 4.19.94-ti-r64 on my BBAI and this appears to make no difference, if I shut it down I can power it back on using the power button and it boots normally, so that’s one hypothesis out the window. There may be something particular about your situation that’s causing this.

1 Like

Hi zmatt and everybody

Unfortunately the problem is a general one, i report result of my experiments.
Experiments run on a new BB-AI, just unboxed, no capes, no modifications.
Downloaded images come from this forum links and have been sha-checked.

With default operating system — boot eMMC
. /etc/dogtag: BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2019-08-03
. uname -a : Linux beaglebone 4.14.108-ti-r113 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 31 00:01:10 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux
. impossible to shutdown with powerbutton, but we can do it via software as
$> sudo poweroff
. power-off : power button does not work as expected
. power-on : power button works as expected

Debian-10 latest image - microSD
. /etc/dogtag : BeagleBoard.org Debian Buster Console Image 2022-02-03
. /etc/uname -a : Linux beaglebone 4.19.94-ti-r70 #1buster SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 24 16:57:36 UTC 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux
. power-off : power button works as expected
. power-on : power button works only if kept pressed for 15 seconds

Debian-11 latest image - microSD
. /etc/dogtag : BeagleBoard.org Debian Bullseye Minimal Image 2022-02-03
. /etc/uname -a : Linux BeagleBone 5.10.90-ti-r35 #1bullseye SMP PREEMPT Wed Jan 12 17:19:20 UTC 2022 armv7l GNU/Linux
. power-off : power button works as expected
. power-on : power button works only if kept pressed for 15 seconds

For me it is fine if it would be possible to solve the problem even for just one OS, Debian-11 for example. So at least we know that the latest OS the power button is working. I hope it is possible to do it ! Let me know ! If you need my assistance I can try to provide all the help that i can, but alone i don’t know where to start from to fix this.

bye
Nicola

I was really stupid ! I did not check the recommended images !

In the recommended image 2020-04-06 the BB-AI turns on and off very well via power button.
Tomorrow I try to move everything on that one and hope for the best.

bye
Nicola

it still leaves the question, what broke…

Regards,

Hi Robert,

If it can help spotting what broke i can add that:

• I just upgraded the image following the procedure here, and the power button still works well i.e. it works as expected from a power button.

• A few days ago i was collecting relevant information from the internet. I found this page where they talk about a similar problem, and there is a reference to some code files who might be of interest.

If i discover something more i will let you know.